Friday, February 13, 2009

THE HOST




First let me say I am not a sci-fi novel buff. I do like to watch the movie versions but never pursued the written form of sci-fi. I read about a book a week. Usually historical, medical, legal,animal or thriller novels keep me happy. However I am not really locked into any genre, basically looking for a good read , fiction or non fiction.


For weeks I have been seeing The Host on the New York Times best seller list. Curiosity got the best of me, especially when our little library got a copy. I put my self on the waiting list and was pleased when my name made to the top of the list. Was a bit surprised to see how thick the book was but was not daunted. When I finished the book a few days ago, I was sorry the book was not longer.



Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett affected me the same way. Both books surprised me for I expected not to like either. How can the medieval church builder in Pillars, hold your interest for over 900 pages? How can an alien parasite inhabiting the body of woman while keeping up a running dialogue with the former owner of the body for over 600 pages, keep your attention? In both instances, good writing does the trick.


Stephenie Meyer does a great job. She can pull you into her world completely and you temporarily leave the everyday life, which lately is a "good thing." Part of you will secretly applaud the altruistic alien souls who have conquered the earth but you have to also root for the "wild humans." They are us after all, warts and all.


I rarely recommend a book for we all have different tastes. Often I have picked up a recommended book by a friend and pushed it aside wondering,"What was he thinking?" This has been around on the best seller list long enough that I know it is not just me. If you are looking for a good read, this is food for thought. If you have read it , let me know what you thought.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links