Monday, May 18, 2015

ATTENTION ALL TEACHERS


One of the bloggers I follow is Marty Damon at Welcome Words.  She recently self published a book that I just finished. I found it to be a quick and entertaining read. 

Anyone that can imagine, complete and publish a novel is amazing in my mind. Most bloggers are frustrated authors but few actually make it to the publication stage. When they can make the book interesting to read and at a price I can afford--- well that deserves notice.  


 Earthly Needs is in digital form but you don't need Kindle to enjoy. It can be downloaded right to your computer or pad.


While this book will definitely appeal to teachers or those in the education system, anyone can enjoy this story and can relate. Unless you were home schooled, you will recognize the situations, the politics of the educational system and the characters will seem familiar. 

The teen characters are right out of today and the teachers pretty much the way I remember. The assistant principal thank goodness was a type I never had to deal within the business world. He reeked of  being totally self obsessed with no scruples. I found myself hoping that an overloaded semi would smush him.  Sadly one didn't but he made me that angry. 

There is a touch of romance but unlike 50 Shades of Grey (which I never read so I am guessing), the sex is implied, not described in minute detail. For some that will be a plus, for some a minus.  

The flow was easy and I thoroughly enjoyed her writing style. Marty has a unique, often amusing way with words. 

This is her first novel but I am sure not the last.  This one ended a bit abruptly so possibly there will be a part two? 

The price was in my ball park, $2.99 or free on Kindle unlimited. Three bucks is pretty much my limit.

Hope you will check it out. I think you will enjoy, especially you teachers. 

20 comments :

  1. As a former teacher (but it is always in the blood), I will definitely be checking it out. And I knew an assistant principal who inspired that semi-smushing fantasy, so all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there an emoticon for loss of speech? I was completely gobsmacked to open your blog this morning (first one I read! :o) )
    Thanks you so much for your kind words, Patti!
    In fact, there is indeed another book coming. All finished, but I'm tweaking it here and there.
    Same town, different characters.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered it. Thanks! Marty, I don't know how I missed it, but I have enjoyed your writing on the blog, so I know I'll like the book, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check it out- I taught first grade eons ago, and I still to this day remember all of the politics that goes on in out school system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Gail and DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice of you to review and promote another blogger. I admire those that can write novels. I myself, have a problem keeping up with a blog. Good luck to her...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olga,
    Ha ha, do you think being a jerk is part of the job description for some assistant principals?

    Marty,
    You are most welcome. It was a pleasurable read. Please let us know when the new one hits the shelves.

    Djan,
    Hope you like it. She does have an enjoyable writing style.

    Terri,
    I am sure you can relate to this story. Once a teacher, always a teacher.

    turquoisemoon,
    I know, that always impresses me too. That is why I am down to once a week blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like an interesting book for sure --and what a great deal!!!! I am a former teacher who is so upset about all of the changes they have made these days to the public education system...

    I grew up with wonderful teachers who LOVED to teach, LOVED kids and worked hard for very little money.. It was more of a calling to them.

    These days--there are more poor teachers than I want to think about. AND because of tenure, it's hard to fire a bad teacher. Really sad what has happened...

    I may have to check out that book. Thanks!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a review to pique the interest of a great many bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll definitely take a look at it. I laughed at your self-imposed limits for Kindle. I'm exactly the same way. I'm not going to pay 12 dollars for a digital edition when the paperback will eventually come out at 15.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to check it out. It sounds like a great book. Good for her for getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Manzi,
    Thank you and I hope it does.

    NCMountainwoman,
    I know. I am always amazed at some of the digital book prices. As long as libraries exist, we don't have to cave.

    Sally,
    Hope you do. You should have special interest as the main character is an English teacher.

    Weekend-Windup
    ??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy,
    Hope you do for I am sure you can relate to much of the situations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well dang it, now my "to read list" is just that much longer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds quite interesting, Patti. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know a lot 0f teachers including myself who say "now if only I kept a journal for forty years the stories I COULD tell.... (though I remember quite a few).....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brighid,
    Ah I feel you pain gal. So many books so little time.

    Kay,
    Hope you get a chance to read it.

    TB,
    I think you ought to put those stories to paper. Bet there were some beauts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a trained art teacher but decided to set up my own graphic design business instead.

    Yes, I'm one of those bloggers who never manages to write "that book". Maybe one day, if I live long enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links