Monday, October 16, 2017

PERFECT GIFT---ALMOST


Linda at Two Fixer-Uppers  published a recent post about her husband losing his wallet which reminded me of this story.

Years ago, our much loved supervisor was going to be out for an extended health leave.  His replacement was not nearly as loved.

Where Marvin (the sick) was a fair, smart, funny and a laid back leader, his temporary replacement Bob was young, out of his element, nervous, and borderline rude. He had been an assistant supervisor in another division and was really unfamiliar with our end. 

He did manage to  amuse us as he frequently lost his car keys. We knew what was up when around 4:50, he would start patting himself down, muttering, cruising the office, rearranging his desk, picking up papers and looking in corners for those wayward keys.  Sometimes others would spy the keys but remain quiet. I know--mean.

Then it came time for us to draw names for Christmas.  Every one but me feared getting Bob's name. However I really hoped I would get it for I knew the perfect gift for him. I didn't get the draw but quickly was able to convince the one who got Bob's name  (she was easy to spot by the dismayed expression on her face) to trade with me.

Everyone thought I was nuts but I was confident. It would take a trip to the Hammacher Schlemmer's store of cool gadgets but I had this. It was something I had spied on a previous trip to that fun store.

I was going to get him a Key Locator.  It was two part gadget that consisted of a  key fob plus a remote you could press that would make the hidden keys beep, thus giving up their location.  I was really patting myself on the back.
                                       Key locator

I tried it out before wrapping and it worked perfectly. Of course we would miss those afternoon hunts but I knew it was something he really could use.

Bob was stunned when he opened my gift.  After I explained what it was, he even laughed--which he seldom did-- and he said it was just what he needed.

Shortly after Christmas, Marvin came back to work so I never got to see Bob and the Locator in action.  However I ran in to his wife a week or so later at the supermarket and I learned  why it was "almost" the perfect gift.

Yep, you probably guessed it.  Bob kept losing the remote.

Duh, why didn't that ever cross my mind? Probably should have gotten him one of those that you whistle to activate the beep. Can't lose your whistle.

Did you ever give the perfect gift that had one itty bitty flaw?

45 comments :

  1. Ha! That is hilarious! Remember the "Clapper"? You would clap your hands and the lamp would turn on (or off). I think Bon needed the clapper for his car keys :-)

    Thanks for making me laugh this morning Patti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      So glad I found your funny bone. Clapper would be the answer. If they haven't done it yet, they should.

      Delete
  2. That's funny. I'm not good at picking out gifts but I know a couple of people who could use that key locator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R,
      Probably ought to get them the whistle or clap activated. Then they can't lose that.

      Delete
  3. I am afraid I saw that coming. Maybe because my sister is a loser. Don't take that wrong, she simply loses everything. Keys, glasses, her purse, things in her purse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grannie Annie,
      Ha, I wish I had seen it coming at the time. It slipped right over my head.

      Delete
  4. Ha! That's funny, and then I realized that it was "almost" the perfect gift for a very good reason. A loser is always going to be a loser. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      You bet. Don't know why I ever thought that would cure him. Live and learn:)

      Delete
  5. I also saw that coming, because it is something that would happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh,
      You and most of my readers saw it coming. It seems so obvious to me now--I was blissfully unaware then.

      Delete
  6. That's such a funny story. I did guess that he would lose the locator right away. It's a bummer that some cranky people get to be manager and bosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      I remember really laughing when she told me as I thought-- you dummy Patti. Also felt for her for she had to live with him.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Silver Willow,
      Thanks so much. I enjoyed it at the time and now also.

      Delete
  8. Hopefully he got himself a chain to hang the remote around his neck, that is such a funny story Patti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd probably lose his neck!!

      Delete
    2. Jimmy,
      So glad you enjoyed. He really had some problems but managed to amuse. At least he was temporary.

      Delete
  9. HA HA ----What a cute story. When someone is TRULY forgetful like that, I'm not sure what anyone can do to help.... On occasion, we misplace the TV remote (when it falls down in the cracks of the sofa or a chair.... AND--we've had to call our phone on occasion to find it... BUT--overall, we are not forgetful like Bob was. CRAZY.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Betsy,
      Relax, you are normal. We all do that. Wouldn't you hate to have been his wife? All the time she must have wasted looking for his stuff:)

      Delete
  10. Now that is forgetful! I glad I'm not that bad. lol! Funny story and I am slow today and didn't see that one coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thank you for not getting it right away. Now I feel better:))

      Delete
  11. I once bought my wife a fancy French knife for the kitchen and she kept cutting herself with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen,
      Welcome to the not very exclusive club:) The knife was almost a great idea.

      Delete
  12. Haha, that sounded like the perfect gift. I bought one of my daughter's a furby toy. You know the one that made numerous different noises. That was a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      Ha,ha, I have a feeling she loved it, you not so much.

      Delete
  13. As someone who often loses keys and glasses and my phone, I so saw that one coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Maybe that is why I didn't see it coming. Out side of my butt ugly glasses, I rarely misplace anything.

      Delete
  14. Very funny - and I didn't get the punch line until I read it.

    I can't recall any nearly perfect gifts I've given, though I suspect I have and just was never made aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      You make a good point. I may have a bunch of those out there. If I hadn't run into his wife, I'd have thought I'd nailed it.

      Delete
  15. Kinda' saw that one coming.
    Being OCD, I almost never lose stuff. It has to go where it is supposed to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda R,
      I think because like you, I rarely lose anything, it never dawned on me that he would lose the remote. But I learned.

      Delete
  16. I tend to give gifts that have the receiver saying what the heck were you thinking when you bought this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Ha ha, that is the usual reaction I get. I tend to think so far out of the box that it makes folks wonder.

      Delete
  17. Funny tale! May have given some gifts that didn’t quite make it, but just never found out about it. Ignorance is bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joared,
      Pretty sure I am with you. If I hadn't talked to his wife, I would have thought I really had found the perfect gift. Bliss is good.

      Delete
  18. Cute story. I go through phases of losing things. I think it is connected to my short term memory that keeps forgetting it is supposed to be working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Glad you liked. I think we all have a touch of this on occasion.

      Delete
  19. Oh good grief! That is so funny! You are such a thoughtful gift giver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Oh I wish I were:) Sometimes I think I try too hard.

      Delete
  20. Your question is way too easy to answer for me. I was known as giving the gift that no one wanted ... so now I stick to Gift Cards. That means no wrapping too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      Me too with youngsters especially. They are always the right size and color:)

      Delete
  21. Wow, poor guy really had issues with losing things. I couldn't help but laugh when I read what his wife told you. Thank you sweet Patti for visiting my blog and commenting. I will be around more when all that is going on here right now gets better. Hope you and Callie are doing well. Hugs and nose kisses from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie,
      Yep as soon as she told me it was a head smacking time. Never crossed my mind.

      Delete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links