Monday, September 7, 2020

CODY


Again got nothing and again, digging into the archives. This is a sweet dog story that I am reworking from 2009. 
As some of you know, when I left my low paying bank job, I became a much better paid beginning meter reader with the power company. 

Meter reading was  hot, strenuous, often dangerous work, but there were more times when it was the best job ever.

I had no boss over my shoulder and I worked out doors, my favorite place to be. I was in the best condition of my life.   Sure I was attacked and bitten by dogs 13 times but then there were the "Cody" types that still make me smile.

From the first day I arrived, I had heard the story of Cody. He was a very large German Shepard and the meter reader's friend. This was unusual for a good number of dogs considered us, mail carriers, and UPS as "game" to be chased and chewed on.

Cody lived in a middle income area that was plagued with chain link fences. Fences are not the meter reader's friend. Fences actually were the bane of our existence. They had to be hurdled, well the guys hurdled. Being a shorty, I climbed up and dropped over in a three step move.   

I had been with the company for almost a year before I drew Cody's route. When it finally came up, I was really excited. I was going to meet a legend.

The route started right at Cody's house. I parked in front of his home, went to the door and rang the bell. A large dog started barking inside. I heard him slam against the door and the clicking of large claws. For a second, I was afraid I had been 'punked' and that Cody was really a monster dog who loved meter readers---to eat.

The door opened as far as the security chain would let it and a lady asked what I wanted.

"I'm Patti the meter reader," I informed her, "Can Cody come out to play?"

She laughed and told me he had been waiting all morning for me. It seems he knew when read day came and was up with the birds in anticipation. With that, she let the very large and beautiful Shepherd out and he was all over me in a good way.

Not Cody but the sweet eyes are perfect.

"Have a good day." She ordered Cody and I , then shut the door trusting us both completely.

I wasn't sure how this worked so I started off with Cody prancing at my side. The first fence I came to, I didn't know what to do with him. Afraid to let him in, I pet his head and squeezed through the gate leaving him outside. The next three yards were fenced so I climbed out of one into the next.

In the last yard I used the gate and there sat Cody with a tongue out grin. I had no need to worry. He had done the route so often that he knew just where I would be coming out. He had memorized the path taken to each of the houses. The joy he would greet me with was heart warming. Till that day, he had never seen me, but on that day, I was a fun friend.

This went on the whole day and I had a wonderful time with my quiet friend. He walked in a perfect 'heel,' glued to my side unless I had to leave him for a fenced yard. I made sure he got water when I did and he never showed any sign of boredom.

I really felt badly when the day was over and I had to take him back home. I gratefully thanked the lady for the loan of her dog and she thanked me for giving Cody a grand day. I was convinced that every route needed a Cody. He was a boon companion for a solitary job.

It was about a year later that we got the sad news. Cody was not doing well and could no longer go with the meter readers. He was suffering from age and arthritis. It was just too painful for him to walk all day with us. We were about 20 in number and most of us had enjoyed the pleasure of Cody's company as he had performed this ritual this for years. He was going to be really missed. Even the most devout dog hater among us was saddened.

We took up a collection and had a bronze plaque made that had the face of a Shepherd embossed and the wording,

CODY

THE FINEST DOG IN PALM BEACH COUNTY

FROM YOUR GRATEFUL FRIENDS

It was a smart looking plaque set on a wooden base which we all signed. We also got him a huge sirloin steak and we made an appointment to see him as a group.

When we went for the presentation, Cody was obviously lame and though he got up slowly, he wagged his tail big time seeing all his friends in one room. Dogs do grin by the way and he about split his face grinning that day.

The plaque really pleased his owner but Cody had his eye on the large, great smelling package. She promised he would get every bit of the steak. His owner cried that day and so did most of us, especially the girls. It was hugs all around.

We no longer knocked on the door to see if Cody could come out to play. His owner said it upset him too much and he would whine and cry the whole day whenever he heard us in his yard. We let her read her own meter from then on so he couldn't hear us.

Cody eventually passed but his legend was being told to each new reader long after he was gone. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the meter readers from that office today also know the story of a dog named Cody.

Hope you all have as fun a Labor day as the new rules allow. 

45 comments :

  1. My gosh, this put a real lump in my throat. What a terrific Labor Day story Patti, and a sweet tribute to Cody. It’s just wonderful, all the love he was shown by you guys who gave him a real purpose too. PS. It sounds like an interesting job but you were bitten 13 times as a meter reader??! I’m happy you’re retired! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      I think both Cody and the readers got a lot out of the days we spent together.
      Ha ha, yes 13 times in 5 years and I was really dreading that 13th one and it was my worst. It was still one of my most fun jobs I ever had.

      Delete
  2. That's the only thing wrong with dogs: they just don't live long enough. Worm their way into our hearts and then we have to face the music too soon. Cody sounds like a super wonderful dog, and I thank you for sharing him with me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      I know. When ever you hear about a dog story, you all ready know the ending. Still the time we do spend together is so worth it.

      Delete
  3. What a cute and heart-warming story, told well! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      Glad you enjoyed my revisit with Cody. He certainly was special.

      Delete
  4. My neighbor had a German Shepherd and the entire neighborhood was all devastated when she eventually passed. Such an intelligent breed and she definitely had her routine visits down. We had a blue tick hound at the time, not nearly as smart but we loved him anyway. So true that large dogs tend to not live nearly long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      That is so true. The larger the dog the shorter the lifespan. Those little Chihuahuas can live to 20.

      Delete
  5. Loved the story... and sounds like Cody was a wonderful dog! What a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      He really was special. Each of us that worked with him got attached quickly.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to a German Shephard! Loved every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gigi,
      Thank you and glad you enjoyed. I can still see him today.

      Delete
  7. Great story ... reminds me of Atticus, the part-German shepherd part-something-else that my friends and I had in college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is Labour Day weekend so I labored and I I wrote a blog after many months. I hold my iPad to my nose to see letters to type and I felt so happy to get out some pics and words.
    Blogging is so much part of my past 11 years. Hard to let it go. Stay safe.
    PS it is On my photo blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidrun,
      So good to see you here and to see your post today. So sorry that your eyes are making blogging so hard for you but glad you are making the effort. You have been missed.

      Delete
  9. This story brings tears to my eyes. It's such a love story to a beautiful dog named Cody. I love him and never even got to meet him except through these loving words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      So glad you enjoyed. It truly was a love story for each of us that worked with him. Even the toughest guys shed a tear that day.

      Delete
  10. Dear Patti, what a lovely, heartwarming, story of a dog with a heart probably as big as that steak all of you gave him. You have so many good memories to share with us. I'm sure that some memories are not as good, but you have the ability to make lemonade out of sour lemons! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      Thank you. Cody was one special dog. I have found that even stories that may have been unpleasant at the time usually get funny as time passes.

      Delete
    2. Patti, that's so true. Time changes outlook. Peace.

      Delete
  11. I love German shepherds, they can be your serious protector, but most of the time the just want to have fun. They have a sense of humor, they love to play, and no breed has a more beautiful running gait than they. So glad Cody had so many friends and such a good life thanks to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      You are so right. Besides being such great pets or even service dogs, they just have such a commanding appearance.

      Delete
  12. Oh, that made a tear come to my eye!! What a special dog. Cheers to Cody! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita,
      Dog stories do that to us don't they? Me too on a cheer to Cody.

      Delete
  13. Cody sounds like the ideal companion, sad that he had to give up going the rounds with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      I think had he been given the choice, he would have hobbled through the route with us but his owner cared too much to let him try.

      Delete
  14. Great dog story! Cody sounds like a real sweetheart. Sounds like you would have needed to wear armor to protect yourself from more dog bites in that job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared,
      He was the best. Armor might have helped but we were armed with spray and tricks that usually worked. For the surprise attacks we had no defense. It was an accepted part of the job.

      Delete
  15. I remember when you posted that before and it got to me just the same this time ... I wonder how the whole "Cody venture" started? A fun post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      What a great memory you have.Thanks. We often had dogs try to follow us through routes but Cody was the only one who perfected it.

      Delete
  16. Awww, I fell in love with Cody the minute I saw the breed. (ya, I know it's not him)...what a story Patti! I smiled, I giggled, I even cried. Melts my heart & breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni,
      Me too--such a sweet face. Glad you could take a tour of emotions--most dogs can do that to us.

      Delete
  17. Sweet Cody! I am sure he loved his steak. I love German Shepherds. We had one growing up and when he passed it was one of the only times I saw my dad cry. Such amazing animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Yes they are. So sad about your Dad. They sure can get to us and even the strongest will weep when we lose them.

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful story and Cody's owner got her dog walked for her. I probably would have bawled at the party you all gave him. I'm a sucker for dog stories and dogs in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickelfritz,
      I's sure Cody usually slept the next day. There weren't many dry eyes that day.

      Delete
  19. Aww, that's a good memory- I love Cody's story! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,
      Thank you, I enjoyed reliving it for a moment.

      Delete
  20. What a great story. Thanks for telling us about Cody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mage,
      Thank you. He deserved to be shared once more.

      Delete
  21. I love how Cody's owner said, "Have a good deay" as the dog started off with you on your route.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is a beautiful shepherd in our neighborhood named Orchid.She loves to greet me when I'm out front in the garden. Her owner always keeps her on leash, but she's sweetheart and very well trained. I loved this story of Cody, the meter reader.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH MY GOSH, Patti! This is just so darn beautiful. I'm going to have to send this to my brother. His son's name is Cody. He still misses his dog. Pugsley passed away about 8 years ago. I love that you all got a steak for him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Got a lot of those German shepherds. I had to Baron and now Lily who is near the end of the trail

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links