Monday, October 17, 2022

UNEXPECTED GIFTS

I wasn't looking for a gift but I got a whole day of them anyway.  It started when I saw my wheelbarrow tire was flat.  Aww, phooey. So I took it into town to see if I could get it repaired or at least replaced.  I went to the service station that kind of specializes in patching flat tires.

A  young fellow came out to get the tire out of the back of my pickup. While he was working on it we started talking.  He was asking about my ancient little truck. I told him it was a 2003 with 190,000 miles on it.  He asked if I wanted to sell it and I immediately said I was happy with it. It hasn't given me a bit of trouble in all these years.  He then shocked me saying he could get $9000 for it.  Yikes. Blue Book Value is only $2500.  That kind of gave me lift though knowing what I value  still has value.

He fixed my tire, put it in the back of my truck and I asked what I owed him. He looked quizzical for a moment then just smiled and said. "Nothing, this is on me." I was very pleased and am pretty sure I unintentionally played the "old lady card" again.

I was smiling as I drove to pick up my Lotto ticket on the way home.  Now it was a really windy day and my worst hair cut ever was doing its best to dance off my head.  Oddly when I got to the store and checked the door glass for the damages, I had to laugh. This was the best my hair had looked in months. Wind is evidently a great hairdresser.  So Mom Nature took pity on me and styled my hair for me. Now if I could only repeat the effect she got.

Then as I placed my order for my ticket, the young girl behind the counter gave me a nice compliment. Trust me, 83 year old women don't get many.  She said she really liked my hair and wanted to know  who did it.  I smiled as I told her that Mom Nature did. Then she surprised me further.  

"I have been meaning to tell you each time you come in," she said. I love that shade of lipstick you wear. Sure wish I could wear that color." It is coral.

Golly---free flat fixed, and compliments from a 20 year old girl. Pretty good day. 

But there was one more gift waiting.  I was having propane delivered that afternoon. It is a big truck and I have to open both of my 12 foot gates so he can get in. We had a nice chat and when he got ready to drive out, I said as I usually do, "I'll get the gate."

He then said, "No problem, I will get them," and he did. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it was really inconvenient for him to do it and I really appreciated it for as I mentioned, they are heavy. Could have been that "old lady card" again. Hey when we are young, we flirt --when we are old we use what works. 

Three lovely people in one day--yep things do come in threes--even good things. 

Ever lean on your age for a little special treatment?

36 comments :

  1. What a day!! A good day!!
    Now about the lottery ticket? A winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni,
      Ha ha, I wish. Guess I used up all my good karma but I'm not complaining.

      Delete
  2. Patti, you always manage to make me smile first thing every Monday morning. Anyway, I think there is just something about you that hits people the right way like it does me, and it's more than an old lady's card! Glad to read such kindness was shown your way. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      Aww, you always say the nicest things. Whatever it is, I am delighted it works.

      Delete
  3. Welcome gifts indeed! Kindly young folk increasingly surprise me. Probably because I'm looking more and more like their dear grannies. Also, like you, I'm not shy about complimenting them or sharing a laugh. I can just imagine the wind doing a stylish rocker number on your hair. Enjoyed your uplifting encounters, Patti!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence,
      So glad you enjoyed for I sure did. Funny about the wind. I try so hard to turn this pig's ear of a hair cut into a silk purse and a random wind does it with no effort. Now if I could just duplicate it.

      Delete
  4. What an uplifting post! I don't get compliments very often and cherish them when I do get one. Can't remember the last time, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      Aww you get them all the time on your blog. But I know, after a certain age, the personal ones become treasures.

      Delete
  5. You really did have a very good day there. It's so wonderful when people show kindness and thoughtfulness when we are out there in the world. Love these stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,
      Isn't it wonderful after reading about all the anger and pain in the world to just enjoy a lovely day and not worry if the stranger is packing. I'm going to try to pay it forward.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful, Patti! Always so happy to hear that people are kind. I think there are more out there than we realize because we hear more about bad things than the good. Maybe... just maybe all the bad/sad stuff happening in the world will have people realize how important kindness is. Ya think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      I know. The bad acts get all the publicity. I thought I would counter by telling of some really nice acts. I firmly believe the good outnumber the angry. I know I want to pay it forward so perhaps that is what my sweet folks that day were doing also.

      Delete
  7. These small gifts of kindness and positivity are the best! I admit that I use the "small fragile woman" card occasionally. My hair looks good styled by the wind when it's short but when it's longer, MY OH MY. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      You are too young for the old lady card but glad you keep "small fragile woman" card handy. Sure works doesn't it? Yes my hair is really short which helped.

      Delete
  8. Haha. Well, my walker helps, so I play the CRIPPLED old lady card every time I go out. But so far nobody has complimented me about my hair or lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gigi,
      I think your hair looks great and love the color. You can't pull off the old lady as you don't look it but a walker will get them rushing to help you.

      Delete
  9. You had a delightful day! I can't recall anyone ever remarking on my hair or clothing and I don't wear any make-up. Well, at least not positively...my mom used to remind me I was growing east to west, rather than north to south. :) She wasn't wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      The only makeup I wear is lipstick and I have worn the same color for 50 years. They finally quit making it but think thanks to wearing masks for a couple of years, what I have should last.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness I just love that you had this kind of day Patti !!! Yes, flirting or batting my eyes or clevage would get me a ton of things and out of speeding tickets etc.😁 Now at 66 I find it winding down. I'm old but not quite old enough just yet, soon, for that older woman discount but the shine is off so not getting anything free. But you know what? I have been delighted before by strangers stopping me to ask about my hair. Makes your day and can turn a bad day good. That's a good hair day! Now if you can find a wind machine to stand in front of daily you'll have more good hair days. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg,
      Yikes, you are at the inbetween stage. Just enjoy it.
      So you had cleavage? Wow, I only had kind of cute and a quick smile to get by with. Would have killed for cleavage.
      Unfortunately the windblown look doesn't last long:) Wish it did.

      Delete
  11. That WAS a good day! I lean on my old age every time I can get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Hey, we paid a price in years for that card. Go for it--I do.

      Delete
  12. I love that you are using the old lady card and I love what you said about using whatever works! We old gals have to do what we can to get by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Latane,
      Maybe I should but I feel no shame using the old lady card. It is priceless though we did pay a fairly steep price to earn it. It works like magic.

      Delete
  13. Mother Nature does a better job than hairdressers sometimes. I have never yet played the age card, because I don't yet look old enough for that. I'm only just 70.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't intentionally use the old lady card, but sometimes I am dealt it anyone. It kind of takes me aback, but then I smile and am grateful. Kindness works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      You are right, kindness is beautiful and by letting them do nice things for us, we kind of make their day also.

      Delete
  15. I don't get very good treatment playing the age card. That is because I am a cranky, bossy old person. It is an effort to try being pleasant when I see people who don't know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie,
      Now if I am paying them and they don't do a good job that is one thing but if they are just helping out of kindness, I'll accept any effort gratefully.

      Delete
  16. Awe hoe super. Now how about that ticket you bought? Any luck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidrun,
      Ha ha, I'm afraid I used up all my good luck but that is OK. I'll take kindness in the place of millions anyday.

      Delete
  17. Awww gee... Patti, You made me happy just reading this post. I'm so glad you had such a bountiful day of lovely people. I can't really play the age card in my neighborhood much because let's face it, I live in a community with a very high percentage of retired people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Aw thanks, glad my good fortune was contagious. You can't play the old age card for you just don't look it. And that is the truth.

      Delete
  18. I play the old lady card with abandon. I try to give away a lot of compliments because I feel so great when I get one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes. I keep my card in my pocket, ready to pull out if and when needed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links