Monday, March 15, 2021

FIRST KISS RERUN


Some of you got a chuckle out of my wishing to chat with Jimmy to let him know I gave him credit in my later years on my kissing abilities.  This is that story from 2009. A bit long--sorry about that. 

There are certain events in our lives we remember vividly.  Some may differ with each individual. However there is one memory that I think everyone can recall in detail and that is that first kiss.  

I stuck my toe in the waters of adulthood at the grand age of ten. We had moved to Key West and I entered my only time of extreme popularity. I peaked early. While I had a ton of boyfriends that year, I was still in the never been kissed category with just lots of sweaty hand holding. 

Because I was totally horse crazy, I constantly scoured the small island in search of large four legged creatures.  One day after school my friend Shirley said she knew where a pony was so we made a detour on our trip home.

Sure enough, there in a sectioned off part of a garage, behind a small house, was a tiny Shetland pony. If you know Shetlands you know they have nasty dispositions. They just don't particularly like people.  

I was admiring Skippy who had just tried to bite me, when his owner came out to see what we were doing. Shirley knew Jimmy and introduced us.  He didn't go to our school but went to the Catholic boys school. Shirley knew him from church. He had wavy blond hair, a beautiful smile and a nose sprinkled with freckles. I was moonstruck the minute I saw him.

It was almost past time for me to be home for supper but when Jimmy suggested we play hide and seek, I agreed.  Jimmy hid his eyes first and Shirley and I scrambled to find a hiding spot. I crawled under a car to hide and listened.  Gravel was digging into my back and I was hoping he would hurry.  Finally he found me and helped me to crawl from under the car.

Gently he brushed the gravel from my back. This was a very simple act but it was the first gentle touch I had received from a boy. Most experiences up till then involved boys unable to show a girl he liked her without some sort of mild violence. You know the drill, pulling a girl's pigtails, tripping her on the playground, that sort of awkward, sometimes painful affection from boys who haven't added "smooth" to their resumes yet.

Jimmy was very smooth and we talked till it started getting dark. Both Shirley and I knew we were probably in trouble with our parents so we started towards home. 

My parents were worried sick. Parental fear quickly turns to anger when the wayward child reappears unhurt. I was grounded to my block for a week and Jimmy was not allowed to come on our block. For that week, Jimmy stood on the curb across the street every afternoon. We shouted across the traffic to each other about how unfair parents were.

As soon as the week was over, we spent every minute not in school together. We went to the Saturday matinees and held hands in the balcony. That made him my first date I guess. Usually Jimmy brought his gang of followers with him when he came to see me. He had 6 loyal boys that followed him everywhere.  

One of our favorite games to play was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Roy(Jimmy) always saved Dale (me) from some terrible fate (kidnapped by outlaws, etc.)  He would then propose marriage. I always accepted and Bubba, one of Jimmy's friends,  would play the preacher. The rest of his gang were the congregation.

Bubba did a respectable job as preacher. He certainly got lots of practice. Every day, after Bubba performed his duties as the minister, he would say, "You may now kiss the bride."  However, I chickened out every time.

This went on for a week, each time I would think I could, but then would wimp out. Finally one day Jimmy had it and just grabbed me by the shoulders and roughly planted a big wet one on me. Yuck. Pretty sure I wiped my mouth on my shirt as the boys ran down the street "woohooing".  

So that was what it was all about?? Pretty disgusting if you would have asked me at that moment. Sweat, slobber and grit totally underwhelmed me.

That evening after dinner, Jimmy called and wanted me to meet him. I hesitantly agreed and it was a soapy smelling Jimmy that showed up. We walked across the street to the Naval officer's club and went to the palm surrounded tennis courts to sit on a bench. The moon was so full it was almost daylight and a warm tropical breeze kept the mosquitoes at bay. Soft music drifted out of the officer's club.

Jimmy apologized and said he shouldn't have grabbed me like that. He shyly asked if he could kiss me again to show me it could be nice. Well I was no longer a "kiss virgin" so I said OK. This time he was very gentle, 
not-slobbery or gritty. I found it amazing and I could taste his minty fresh breath.  While pretend Roy may have broken the kiss barrier earlier, I consider that sweet kiss, my first.

We went steady for the next two years till my family moved. Thank you Jimmy for all those innocent kissing lessons that followed. You taught me well. 

And your first kiss???

49 comments :

  1. ...I'm not a "touchie-feely" person, so I honestly don't remember a FIRST kiss, but other kisses I can recall, but not in detail like your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni,
      I sure can't remember others all that well but that one stuck in my memory.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Ten years old! Cute story and memories.

    I was fifteen when I got my first kiss and it was under fireworks. I saw the guy around our lake all that summer and he put a row of hickie down my neck one day, had to wear a high collared shirt for a week so my parents wouldn't see them. He ended up being one of those guys who got so fat he had to be cut out of his house when he died. Always glad I didn't have to cook for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      Aww, you know I never got a hickey and hear you got a bunch in one day. We moved so much I never got to find out how the guys turned out. Maybe that is a good thing:))

      Delete
  3. That is so sweet.
    My first kiss was at an early age. I must have been 8. A military family moved into a house in the neighborhood and Lydia, Carlos and I became inseparable. One day Lydia, a year older than her brother and me, decided in the wisdom of her advanced age that Carlos and I should be married. As I recall we both thought it a brilliant idea. Lydia married us and we kissed to seal the ceremony. As military families do, they moved away and my family moved to VT soon afterwards anyway. But I have to say my first love was the two of them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      My you were a baby. Ha ha, you got caught up in the "marriage" routine also. More common than I thought. Don't you sometimes wish you knew what happened to them?

      Delete
  4. ​I think I'm a little tingly all over from reading this! Patti, I sure loved this recollection of Jimmy's kiss; what a wonderful look back. At the end, I could see the two of you youngsters with that Floridan view behind you. You were fortunate to grow up where you did, I didn't see my first palm tree until I was almost 15 (on a family vaca in Florida) and it was so... different. Anyway, thank you for sharing this-- I loved the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans plays too! I wonder whatever became of Jimmy?

    I remember mine very fondly, it was the fall of 1973 and Penny, a girl my age had moved in with Mr & Mrs Davis, right before school started. They were an elderly couple who took in foster kids and had a big farm up the red-dog road from us. The moment I saw her I fell in love. She looked different than the other 8th grade girls in my class. She wore blue eyeshadow, had short hair styled like Shirley Jones and wore miniskirts and pantyhose and thick platform shoes. I told my parents I had to ask her to go steady right away, if I didnt act fast she'd be snapped up. They thought it was very cute and said sure, of course. But they didn't meet her until mid-October when she came to my house for dinner. After she left my mom said "DON YOUR SON IS DATING A 25 YEAR OLD EIGHTH GRADER, YOU BETTER HAVE A TALK WITH HIM BEFORE HE GETS THAT GIRL PREGNANT!" Anyway, the Saturday night before my 13th birthday (on Halloween) I was invited to a hay-ride with Penny's junior church group. We sat in the back, closest to the horses, huddled together under an old blanket (it was a chilly night and they had brought blankets for everyone) and drinking hot cocoa from paper cups, and while the other kids were laughing and carrying on, Penny whispered "Would you kiss me?" I laid one on her and thought my heart was going to burst. I'll never forget that night. Sorry for going on like I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      Don't be sorry, it was a great and sweet story. I did laugh out loud though at your Mom's description of her. I never found out what became of Jimmy though my grandmother said he married his commanding officer's daughter. Did you ever find out what happened to Penny?

      Delete
    2. Well, at least you learned something! As for Penny, she moved 6 months later and I ran into her again a dozen or so years later, she was married with a little boy. Ah well...

      Delete
  5. I love this story. I was a late bloomer in comparison. I don't even remember his name, that makes me sound like a tramp. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      He evidently didn't "send" you so he doesn't deserve to have his name in the hall of fame:))

      Delete
  6. What a great story, Patti. Such a sweet look back at the real first kiss. I wish I could remember mine. I think it must have been when we a bunch of neighborhood kids were playing a game of spin the bottle. When it was my turn to spin, the bottle pointed to a neighbor named Bobby, and we had a bit of a very sweet kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      So glad Bobby made your memory list. I know spin the bottle was popular but somehow I never played. Now I feel a little left out:)

      Delete
  7. I don't remember my first kiss, but then I was never into my fellow Swedish men. In a book by Celeste Ng, a White woman prefers Chinese men -- she calls her fellow, sandy-haired Southern men, potato men. That's about how I felt about the Swedes. Nice and good men they were, for sure, but taste is weird and that's what happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      Think I will have to look up her book. I have always been attracted to Asian men but never even got to date one.

      Delete
  8. I seem to recall I was about six and the boy was the older brother of twin sisters who went to school with me. I don't recall whether I liked it or not, but do know I waited a long time after that before I got kissed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      Hum, his kiss must not have been too memorable but at 6 it is hard to really know what is good or not.

      Delete
  9. I am not sure when I had my first kiss, but I do know that I had a date with a guy who introduced me to French kissing, which I found disgusting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      This may sound strange but not Jimmy, my husband, my 2 fiances, all the guys I dated while single, I never had any even try to French kiss me. So you are saying I wasn't missing anything huh:)

      Delete
  10. Great story. I was in 7th grade and must have flunked the test because the object of my affections soon started going out with another boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom,
      Ouch, couldn't have been the kiss since you have done all right since. B seems happy.

      Delete
  11. I have several memories on this subject from my childhood... My mother was a "proper" lady --and they never talked to me about the 'facts of life'.... SO--I had to learn it as a youngster from the older sister of a good friend of mine... I remember a group of us girls were at a Slumber Party--and the older sister came and told us all about sex and the facts of life... I remember feeling almost scared at what she was saying.

    I also remember playing "Spin the Bottle" with a group of girls and boys in the basement of someone's home one night... AGAIN ---I was scared. I think I got my FIRST kiss that night from Jimmy Price.

    BUT--my high school boyfriend (Ralph Shuler) was the 'real' first boy I liked --and what a great kisser he was...

    Both Jimmy and Ralph are no longer walking the earth. Jimmy died quite young and Ralph struggled for many years with Diabetes Type I.... When we caught up with each other after many years of being apart, we were both married with kids. Ralph lived in Rickmond, VA --and sent me a picture... OMG--had he changed... He looked like an old man.... (Could I have looked that old to him????)... He died soon after we started corresponding again....

    So much for YOUNG LOVE.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      I so sorry that you lost both of those young men. At least you got to catch up with Ralph. What you said is why I don't go to highschool reunions. Don't want to see them old or them to see me old. Want to keep the memories we had as youngsters.

      Delete
  12. AH! Sixth grade. Gross and slobbery. But that was it until 16. Practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Awkward Widow,
      Kind of sounds a lot like my first one--glad I gave Jimmy a second chance to get it right. Pretty sure the ones at 16 were much better.

      Delete
  13. Ten! Why you little strumpet.

    I was 12, behind the candy store with Heather Pinkernail. She was a real hottie. A year later, I was with my older brother and we drove past Heather, he said, "WOW, look at that, she is a hottie." I said, "yeah that's Heather, we broke up a few months ago." " No wonder" he responded, "she is way out of your league, matter of fact you don't even belong in the ballpark watching her."

    I found her on Facebook, but did not message her. Not the same hottie, but still made my pulse pick up a bit just from the memory...once a hottie, always a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name changed BTW to protect the innocent.

      Delete
    2. joeh,
      Ha ha, haven't been called a strumpet in a while:))
      Hey, if she was a hottie then she thought you were too. Hotties have their standards. You know he was just envious.
      Good idea with the name change. Someone might have tried to Google her.

      Delete
  14. Mine was when I was five starting first grade. A red-headed boy with freckles walked up to me in the lunch line and gave me a sweet kiss on the lips and butt in line behind me. We had never met in this then scooted in behind me in line. It was like we had known each other forever. We spent every moment we could together holding hands and just enjoying each other's company like a pair of old slippers. We would sit together during recess and talk about our kids and we seemed to know their names and where we lived/were going to live. It all seemed real but unreal. Peter moved away and I never saw him again--only in first grade. But we were instantly like old friends. I wonder what ever happened to him? He made me believe in past lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita,
      WOW. That is just the sweetest story ever. I think I would try really hard to find him if only to see what happened to him. What you described does sound like you had met before in another life.

      Delete
    2. Trouble is I wasn't old enough to go to public school so I start at a church school so not easy to track from 1956--lol! And I don't even remember his last name. But I am sure he was a good man when he grew up. :)

      Delete
    3. Rita,
      Somehow I feel that if you passed eachother on the street, you would recognize eachother.

      Delete
  15. I was 20. I have issues and didn't know what I would say to a guy on a date, so I refused invitations, stayed home, and read books. Roy Rogers was my favorite cowboy. I saw him in person once at the Iowa State Fair. He took Trigger through his tricks. I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      Lucky you to have seen Roy. You have excellent taste in cowboys. I adored him so much I ran away from home hoping to get to California and be adopted by him. I only got a block from home. My pony was named Trigger.

      Delete
  16. I never wanted to be with a guy in high school. I know there were a couple of guys who did like me and would have liked a kiss, but I kept them far away at arm's length.

    I college, I finally found someone I really liked and thought I loved. When he kissed me for the first time under a pagoda in the moonlight, my reaction was so bland and bored that I believe he was somewhat insulted because he said something like, "That's it?"

    Well... that relationship improved, but eventually just fizzled out. There would be others before the one I was meant to be with showed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      What a reaction:) Bet when Art came on the scene, it was a different story. You are definitely with the right one.

      Delete
    2. Ack! Patti, you closed your comments on the most recent post. Those signs you posted are hilarious. You should leave your comment section open. We don't expect you to reply to every comment. But at least we'd know you got to see it.:-)

      Delete
  17. I don't remember my first kiss! I was a late bloomer so it probably happened in college.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute story! I just loved it. My first kiss happened when I was around 7 years old. I kissed a boy named Charlie in the back seat of my Dad's car. I forced him to. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gigi,
      Ha ha, I think they call that assault these days:)

      Delete
  19. Your story is a lot better than mine and I have to believe someone was giving your Jimmy behind the scenes advice. My first kiss was from Clyde (my arch enemy) in a game of spin the bottle. We had to go in the closed and kiss. Really not that bad, just that it was Clyde!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny,
      Aw, sorry Clyde was a let down by being Clyde.
      Jimmy was really experienced. I was nowhere near his first. When I entered Jr.High, I was talking to my instructor when Jimmy walked by and though we had broken up, we each said "Hi." What shocked me was my instructor said, "Oh, you know lover boy?"

      Delete
  20. You WERE an early bloomer! At 10, I think I mooned a little over a boy in my class, but kissing didn't enter into it. My husband wasn't my first kiss, but his are the ones I remember most fondly. He used to give me "butterfly kisses" which involved his eyelashes fluttering against my face before a soft lip kiss. I'll have to remind him of that - I haven't received one in many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      I remember those butterfly kisses. They were sweet. Hope you get one today.

      Delete
  21. I enjoyed your rerun first kiss story so much! You are a great story teller! Well, I can't remember mine so it evidently wasn't spectacular or my memory is starting to go.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      So glad you enjoyed and thank you for the lovely compliment. One good thing about your not remembering was that is wasn't awful like Jimmy's first attempt. You would have remember that.

      Delete
  22. Believe it or not I can't remember my first kiss !
    I thought of making something up to impress you but decided to 'fess up instead ! Cute story Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a super sweet story. I had a bit of a gap between my first and my second. In pre-school a young boy, Scott, and I got in trouble for playing doctor where a kissed healed the patient. The teacher was not impressed. The second time was in high school but I can't even remember his name.

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links