Thursday, February 5, 2009

POLITICAL QUESTION

Years ago( that is my version of "once upon a time"and means a story is coming) when I lived in an urban part of Florida, I was very active in politics. I helped at rallies, stuffed envelopes, made phone calls, and drove people to the polls. We were primarily a Democratic state at that time so primaries were when the big efforts went into action.


My main man that year was running for the Senate. This man was perfect. He was a great husband, father, honest, decent, kind, and compassionate. He was truly the finest man I have met. PC (perfect candidate) was who you wish you had married or you would want your daughter to marry. His business was successful because he went the extra mile.


I found out first hand what he did most days after work before going home. I was hospitalized for tests one day when PC popped into my room to see how I was and if I needed anything. I mean how did he even know I was there? The nurse told me that every day he checked the admittance records and visited those he knew. This was never part of his public persona. It may have been his equivalent of stopping off for a drink before going home. Regardless, it put him really far up the ladder for me.


One day I was talking to PC at a rally when an old woman (hum, she was probably my age now) came up to him, They hugged and then she said, "PC, I have known you all your life but I am not voting for you."


This really rocked PC and he barely got out ,"Why?"


"Because you are a good man and I want you to stay that way."


We laughed then but was she right? Do we send corrupt men into politics or do we send good men to Washington only to have them come back capable of breaking the rules? Not an original question but I do ask it.


The Tom Daschles make me wonder.

5 comments :

  1. It's a good question, and I wish I had an answer. Perhaps it's true that money and power are a drug of sorts and that people get very addicted to that particular kind of high. The desire to govern probably starts out good in most people, but is easily corrupted by that aphrodisiac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin
    I am so afraid you are correct and I don't see an answer to the problem either. Too bad there isn't a vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that good men become so disillusioned after they have been in Washington for a while that they just find it easier to join 'em than to fight 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty I am afraid that is sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a little of both. The saddest thing is that many good men who would be prefect for the job cannot afford to run the race.

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links