Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A REAL SCREAMER


Rerun from 2009. 

After accepting a buy out from the power company, I picked up a job as a toll collector.  The turnpike exit was near my house and I wasn't quite ready for full retirement at 54.  

Working as a toll collector would appear to be a really brain numbing job.  Car after car after car,  only broken up by an occasional truck. Pure monotony-ville. 

What made it a fun job though were the people we met for brief encounters.  Some became regulars, but usually you only had a moment to maybe brighten a person's day. Our 15 second friends.

We would sometimes get attached to the regulars. A father picking up his son each weekend from his ex wife.  College kids with back seats full of dirty laundry going home for a Mom fix, truckers on regular runs,  highway patrol officers and adult kids visiting parents.

A young couple in the latter group became two of my favorites. They came through every Friday night to visit her family for the weekend. They were a darling couple who had a little Maltese. The dog was small, white, scruffy and a wee bit smelly.


Not my picture but looks just like her.
The first time they came through, traffic was quite slow. The dog jumped up on the car door so I reached out to pet her. While chatting with the young couple, I held the dogs head in both hands and rubbed her ears.

The next Friday was a holiday so the lines were a bit long and I kept hearing a dog screaming a few cars back. It was my young couple and when they pulled up, the little white dog cried and cried till I held her head once again. The couple told me that she started screaming as soon as they pulled on to the exit ramp. This was new behavior to them.

I forgot about it till next Friday when I once again heard the screaming. This was not barking, it was screaming like they were tearing the legs off the dog. Again, the dog quit when I touched her, though she did try to climb out of the car into my arms. The couple said it was really embarrassing for people were looking at them while they were in line like they were abusing the little dog.


This routine went on for several months. The poor harried couple were unable to stop the screaming.  Sometimes the lines were 1/2 a mile long on busy nights, so it could on for 10 minutes or so. That is a huge assault on the ears. 


The other collectors would laugh and say, "Here comes Patti's dog." No one could miss her wail. We all felt the little dog knew me from a former life. We could think of no other explanation for the intense connection.

One day the couple told me that the parents were moving and they would no longer be coming through on Fridays. Swear to God, that day as we said good bye, the little dog screamed as they pulled away. Again a new behavior.

No I never saw any of them again but I do still think about  them on occasion, especially that little dog. Can't help but think the "parents moving" was just an excuse and that they were just taking another route to avoid the harrowing ritual. I couldn't blame them.

Wonder who that little dog and I were to each other in her other life? Must have been special. She still pops into my mind when ever I see  a little white dog.

Did you ever form an inexplicable bond with a strange animal or perhaps a complete stranger?  Perhaps a past life connection?  Maybe you married them--the stranger that is, not the animal:))


38 comments :

  1. Now that was really strange, all right. Glad you shared this again, since I wasn't following you nine year ago. And yes, I've definitely formed attachments to certain animals without any understanding of it, but nothing like this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      Nope, we weren't blog buddies then. I only had 2 commenters.
      And yes, that relationship was really weird. Hasn't ever happened again.

      Delete
  2. I love a good dog story and that's a good one. My dog acts that way at Starbucks window, but it doesn't matter which person is there. They all give him a cup of cream. I'm thinking the dog in your story didn't get enough head scratching, but I do trust any dog's instincts and reactions to people. If my dog doesn't like someone, I know there is a reason, same with liking someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R.
      Isn't that sweet of Starbucks employees. I use to feel like you about a dog's judgment till I was never able to win over my cousins dogs. They purely couldn't stand me and I thought they were adorable. Can't win em all I guess.

      Delete
  3. Dogs do have excellent instincts about people, but that is a very unusual reaction. I think you may be right about their changing the route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh,
      It has never happened again with another animal, thank goodness. I could hear her screaming from three cars back and their windows up. Imagine what it was like in the car with her.

      Delete
  4. I think that dog fell in love and knew instinctively that it should live with you. I understand why the people changed their route, but doggie love remains the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      I am amazed they lasted in my line that long. It had to have been nerve jarring plus would hurt a bit that the dog was making such a fuss over a stranger.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Patti,
    The memory of the screaming dog would be a haunting one for you, full of "what ifs" and "whys" and "if onlys"! The unconditional love that some animals have for us, is a beautiful thing. I am currently being wooed by a near neighbors cat I am calling "Brian" (he is really either Ernie or Burt... it is confusing because he has an identical twin brother!).

    On a lighter note I guess one explanation could be that you are a reincarnation of a famous pop idol, and the dog was one of the screaming devotees! We were watching a documentary a couple of nights ago about the Beatles...and Paul, George, Ringo and John were certainly greeted in similar manner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,
      Hi old friend. Good to see you here. Hope that means you are back blogging.
      Are you sure the cat isn't courting Stopit? Give Stopit a pat and Laura my best.

      Delete
    2. Hi Patti, I will pass on your greetings to Stopit and Laura. Brian courting Stopit, hummmm....??? Na! It is quite funny seeing the two of them in close-ish proximity. Stopit has what would kindly be called an "ample" figure... that is to say that she appears very closely related to Elephant seals, or possibly Queen Victoria in her mature years! Brian is her physical opposite.... he is long, lean, and bendy, rather like one of those pipe cleaners that you used to see a few years ago. Brian has shown no interest in Stopit, but does appreciate her fussy eating habits and pop in through the cat flap most nights to clean up her food bowls for her!
      I'm keeping the blog going, but I had fairly poor health last year and was too tired to write very often which is why posts became so infrequent (the poor health turned out to be related to a rare blood condition that I have been found to have, and I will just have to learn to live with!) You will be interested to know that I am wood firing again, and unloaded the kiln this morning. I do think of you when I fire the wood fired kiln as I know you used to enjoy the reports about the wood firings I did a few years back.
      Lots of love to you from us all here, human and 4 legged! xx

      Delete
    3. Peter,
      I am so sorry you have been dealing with such a difficult health issue. I hope you are able to control it and go on normally. I will definitely check out your blog and see why it isn't showing up on my reading list.
      Do you suppose Brian likes his ladies with meat on their bones? I do think you are right though and it is you he is wooing--well that and the extra food. Sounds like you might be the proud owner of another cat.
      Take care my friend.

      Delete
  6. It brought to mind my husband and our dog, Soldier that he rescued. Soldier loved women, but hated men. Would kill one if he could. But for some reason, he just loved, loved, loved Errol. The same way this little dog fell in love with you. A sweet and strange story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      I found most of my rescues preferred women. I think women are generally the feeders and petters. Interesting how Soldier loved Errol despite his normal dislike of men. They were a special match.

      Delete
  7. Interesting.... I have read stories like this before.. I'm sure there is some kind of bond between animals and certain people.... Maybe those people should have given the little dog to YOU.... The doggie would have been SO happy.

    Happy New Year.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      They once joked about leaving her with me but they were really attached to her and would never do it. It must have hurt their feelings a bit at her actions. Hopefully she greeted them like that at home.

      Delete
  8. Can you give me a belly rub? I'd be SO grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,
      Ha ha, Sure, just promise you won't scream when I stop:)

      Delete
  9. I formed a bond with my kids Montresori teacher. There were only a few of us with her when she died...and I still talk to her because she believed she would hear. I hope she can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mage,
      I am so happy for you both that you had such a bond. Those relationships are rare but special. Most likely, she does hear you.

      Delete
  10. I have not had that experience with an animal. My own cat distinctly and pointedly preferred my husband. However, the first time I saw my grandson, six weeks old, there was such an electric tug of recognition that I have to believe we shared lives before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Oh, lucky you to have such felt a unique bond. You can't prove it to me that these things don't happen. Enjoy that special child.

      Delete
  11. I wonder if your cousin's dogs were jealous of the relationship you had with her, like they perceived you as a threat that could take the leader of their pack away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R.
      I don't think so. She and her husband had a pharmacy and they took the dogs to the store with them each day. When I would walk into the store, they would kick up a ruckus in a big way and not in the least bit friendly. I was the only one they did this to. They just had no use for me. I am usually a friend to all dogs but not these two and it was a shame for they were adorable. I tried and failed for years.Sigh.

      Delete
  12. When I was a kid I had a strange connection with all animals, probably because I wasn'y allowed pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen,
      They knew when they found a soft heart. Still think you should get another dog.

      Delete
  13. I don't think I've ever had a 'connection' like that. I've had people I was instantly friends with, so that's similar, because usually it takes me several weeks or months to be friends with most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Kind of sounds like it to me. Your instant comfort with them allowed the easy connection.

      Delete
  14. We had a beloved cat that died a few years ago. After his death my husband started dreaming about a kitten that he said was meant for us. We eventually went to a shelter to look for a couple of kittens. We found a brother and sister and the little boy was the kitten my husband had dreamed about. We adopted them and it turned out they were born within a week of when our sweet male cat had died. I would swear that little male cat is our previous cat reborn. He is just like him in almost every way. He even prefers the same places to sleep, relates to us in the same way and sleeps next to me in bed in exactly the same spot. It does make us wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie,
      That sounds like a "meant to be" situation to me. I am so glad you found such a wonderful cat that fit right into the mold of the one you lost. It does make one wonder.

      Delete
  15. Great story! I think that little dog just fell in love with you and they say that animals don't have feelings! Pffft!!
    Wishing you a wonderful New Year filled with good health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thank you for your warm wishes. Right back at you.
      She really became attached in a hurry.

      Delete
  16. What a cute little dog with a big scream of delight to see you. My little dog yelps for joy when my sons come over, it sounds like a cry. He is just so overjoyed to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra,
      You are right, it is a cry, nothing near a bark. It must make your sons feel so special.

      Delete
  17. Oh my gosh... That's an amazing story. There was definitely something about you that the dog sensed. Wow! But me? No, can't say I've had that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      I sure don't know what it was. While I liked her, I never shared her wild devotion. Always felt a little bad for not being as enthusiastic.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Terri,
      I always wondered what happened to that little dog.

      Delete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links