Monday, January 29, 2018

WIND FROM THE CAROLINAS


Not quite up to snuff yet so I am posting a draft I had worked on right before I got the punies.   Hope to be currently creative by next week.


Ginnie at Goldendaze-Ginnie  wrote an interesting post about an adventure she and her husband had in the Bahamas. You can read about it here

It reminded me of my family history which includes the Bahamas.  In 1964 Robert Wilder wrote the best seller, "Wind From the Carolinas" which is a fictionalized account of my ancestors.



Though not all that well known, during the Revolutionary War, some Americans were not unhappy with England nor did they want independence.  While I had some relatives who did fight for freedom, I also had several who were plantation owners in the Carolinas who remained loyal to England and were referred to as Tories. As one might guess, that was not a popular stand to maintain during or after the war.

When the war was over, England offered the loyalists large land grants in the Bahamas as a reward. Thus, some of my family moved from the United States, along with their slaves, to the promised land on the islands. The purpose was to  produce profitable cotton plantations but what was not accounted for was the poor soil quality there.

It was a failed experiment and eventually one of my relatives, William Curry, chose to move back to the USA from the Bahamas to the island of Key West. There he took up wrecking. Wrecking was the lucrative practice of coming to the aid of stranded cargo ships and being rewarded anywhere from 10 to 50% of the value of the cargo.

It is rumored my multiple great grand pappy knew when and where the ships would run a ground on the 12 mile reef for he allegedly hired the pilots of the ships to purposely strand the ships.  Thus he knew when and where to be waiting to claim salvage.

A profitable venture if not all that honest. It enabled him to become Florida's first millionaire.  The movie "Reap the Wild Wind" about wreckers, was loosely based on that multiple great grand pappy.

So Ginnie's story got me digging into the past. I found the book "Wind from the Carolinas". I had read it many years ago and will be digging into it again shortly. Sadly I could only get the paper back version.  There was no Kindle version and the hard copy was around $120. Yikes.

Sadly I have to adjust to reading a real book once more as I have become really spoiled via Kindle. Let's see, you pull the cover back and turn pages with your fingers?? This might be fun.

Have you ever had someone else's blog post send you on a hunt?  And I am curious.  Do you have some unconventional or shady folks in your family tree also?

29 comments :

  1. Oh gosh yes. I am always reading a snippet about something that intrigues me and off I go on an internet journey. Sometimes searching the internet for information other times ordering books on same from the library. I think that is what keeps the wheels of my mind well oiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      It does keep our brains zooming about doesn't it and that is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. My, that is interesting. I don't know of any famous or infamous ancestors. However, reading bogs sparks all kinds of information gathering journeys for me in all kinds of subject areas.
    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Thanks, working on it. Isn't it fun how our blog buddies can send us down search paths?

      Delete
  3. Yes, I go off in all directions sometimes with the posts of others. And yes, I have a couple of doozies in my own family tree. I'm glad you're getting better and am always happy to see you pop up here. Thanks for posting this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      Glad to know someone else has a few doozies in the past. My folks use to brag about which side had the most reprobates in the family:))

      Delete
  4. What a great tale of ancestry. Yes my family had a few moonshiners in Arkansas. That's all I have to say about that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie,
      Ha ha, do you suppose they still have a few cousins working the trade? I hear I can buy moonshine in this area if I want.

      Delete
  5. How interesting! I love my Kindle, found myself reading a real book the other day and tried turning the pages like a Kindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac and Janet,
      Isn't it amazing how soon we adjust to a new way of doing things. I am curious how the real book reading will go. I just hope it keeps my place for me when I fall asleep reading:))

      Delete
  6. Add me to the club who goes off looking for stuff after reading a snippet online. Used to do the same thing back in the old library card catalogs. LOL

    I have some very famous ancestors from the Revolutionary War. It's fun reading about them and reading their writings. When I did a genealogy recently I was able to trace my family tree to them which was just rumors before then.

    Your family ancestor is not only fascinating but I can see why its rich stuff to base adventure books on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      We may have had some ancestors that fought side by side. Not all of mine went to the islands. I really need to do a genealogy search also someday.

      Delete
  7. HA HA ---Oh Yes... Right now, I have two blog friends who have returned from a trip to Scotland... Since I am a Bruce--there are many ancestors of mine in Scotland... Remember reading about Robert the Bruce???? Kind of a scoundrel himself --but somewhere WAY down the line, he's a distant relative!!!!!!!

    Interesting story about the "wreckers"..... Kinda sad though that they did that JUST to make money... Not sure how much has changed these days!!!!! Yipes....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      I loved the story about Robert the Bruce in the cave with the spider. The lowly spider taught him to try and try again.

      Delete
  8. Dear Patti, I know very little about my background. None of my relatives--having gotten through the Great Depression--seemed to want to dwell in the past. Or maybe I just didn't ask the right questions or express enough interest.

    And I've never done a genealogy search. I just know from the DNA testing that I'm 67% Irish and that goes with what I do know about my past and the Irish Famine and the Johnstown flood. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      A genealogy search would be interesting. It would put faces and families to the vague souls in our past. Someday I may do that also.

      Delete
    2. Dear Patti, I've thought about doing it and with your gentle nudge as to what it might reveal, I'm thinking more strongly! Thanks. Peace.

      Delete
  9. In all of Tom's genealogical research into both of our families, he has yet to find anyone famous or infamous, just locally scandalous.
    The Internet makes it so easy to track down information when someone or something raises a question that needs an answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda R,
      Well the good thing is that you probably don't have any scoundrels in the past though they do make for fun reading.

      Delete
  10. I only know about my mother's ancestors, a rather dull lot who just lived quietly. My father's ancestors could be anyone, I have no knowledge and no way to find out, his line ends with my sister and me as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      It is sad that part of you lineage is missing. It is good that it doesn't trouble you.

      Delete
  11. Hope you will be feeling great again soon sweet Patti. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got something out of my post. It was a magical time. No, I don't have any unconventional relatives although the Vermonters were a bit strange ! It was long before AA came along to help the alcoholics and I remember a cousin being locked in a room so he couldn't drink. Not a happy camper !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      Well that was certainly a rough way to deal with the problem. So glad we have evolved.

      Delete
  13. Well, I guess if Robert the Bruce, the first King of Scotland counts. He's my (count 27 times) great-grandfather and, depending on which side you were on, kind of a "colorful" character. Wrecking such as this is a term I hadn't heard of, very interesting post!
    Hope you're feeling good as new soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Hey, looks like you just found a long lost cousin. Betsy from Tennessee also has Robert Bruce in her family tree. That is kind of neat.

      Delete
  14. Wow, that's interesting, but geez Loiuse, that's an expensive price for a hard bound book! Feel better soon, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,
      That is why I got the paperback. The hard cover has been out of print for a long time.
      Thanks, I'm working on it.

      Delete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links