Monday, February 5, 2018

THUNDER


WOW!!!!!! What a game last night. Patti is happy. 

I don't have anything for today so I am hauling out my favorite story about Thunder. I originally posted this in 2011 and reran it in 2014 so some of you have all ready seen this. Those who have are excused and I thank you so much for being long time readers. Those who haven't met Thunder, I think you will enjoy his story.

                            Neither of the pictures are mine.

Thunder was a cute, rather devilish miniature Dachshund owned by our district supervisor Matt. Matt was a very long time employee with a lovely sense of humor and was a delightful storyteller.

One morning he held us spell bound with a tale about Thunder that I am not sure is true but he swore it was.

Matt and Thunder lived in an apartment complex. Because Matt had bad lungs from years of smoking, he tended to let Thunder walk him self around the  complex grounds for his morning toilet. Thunder would tour the lovely oak covered grounds, make his deposits and often would returned with a prize of a dead rat or mole to offer his master.

One Sunday morning, Thunder returned with a rather strange looking rat in his mouth. As he picked up the rodent to dispose of it, Matt noticed it only had a stub of a tail. Half sick, Matt realized that it was his neighbor's pet hamster.




He looked on his neighbor's patio and saw a hamster cage with the door open.

"Oh good grief Thunder, what have you done now?" he moaned.

Thunder did not have the best of reputations (those unattended toilet runs were partial cause) and Matt thought this surely would bring him up before the apartment board and he might be forced to move. 


The poor dead creature was covered in sand and slobber so Matt carefully shampooed the little rodent and blow dried him till he was respectable again.

Now would be a good time to describe Matt. This man was about 6'5", his insistence that he was 185 pounds was wishful exaggeration for he was one narrow man. He had hands that could palm a basketball with ease. His deep, slow southern drawl somehow fit his Ichabod frame. 


Envisioning this scrawny giant shampooing and blow drying a tiny hamster brought grins from all of us in the break room. He could have stopped there for a good story but there was more.

Making sure his neighbor was still at church, Matt sneaked over to her patio, slipped the fluffed up hamster back into the cage, shut the door and hurried home. He was hoping that the people would think the creature died of natural causes keeping Thunder off the Most Wanted list.

He was trying to think of how he could make it up to the people for Thunder's crime when he heard an awful scream. He looked out to see his neighbor standing over the cage in horror. Guilt was killing him as he approached the lady and asked what was wrong.

"Impossible." she repeated over and over a bit wild eyed. "Just impossible. Last night my hamster died and I buried him by the roses this morning, yet here he is, right back in his cage. Just impossible."

Thunder had evidently "unburied" the creature. Matt's cover up made confession impossible so some where today, that former neighbor continues to tell a story about a small hamster, that no one believes.





35 comments :

  1. What a great story -- true or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Thank you, I enjoyed hearing it and telling it.

      Delete
  2. What a good way to start my day with a belly laugh. Knowing dogs and dog owners, I believe the story could have happened just like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      So glad Thunder and Matt found your funny bone. I believe there was a lot of truth in his telling.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that is priceless! Thanks for the grins this morning. I’m in the airport early waiting for my flight. ,:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      I am delighted I could send you into the sky with a smile on your face. Have a wonderful visit with your sister.

      Delete
  4. I would guess that story is 100% true, and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh,
      I'm leaning towards 90%. Matt did like to embellish his stories.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh I'm still laughing, I can actually see this happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      So glad to have started your day with a chuckle. I really think almost all of it happened.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, what a great story! And yes, doxies are diggers by nature. Hence their long snout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Willow,
      Yes, and how could he resist digging up a freshly dead hamster?

      Delete
  7. That is wonderful . . . but somewhat distressing for the hamster owner. I love the idea of anyone shampooing and drying a dead rodent and can understand that the story might not have been entirely unembellished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog,
      Welcome to TNS and thanks for commenting. Matt had the skills of a storyteller so he just might have done a tweak or two to make it a better story. And yes, it is a shame he didn't fess up for the sake of the poor hamster owner. She might have needed therapy.

      Delete
  8. robin,
    So happy you enjoyed. That was my purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, that's funny from my side of things, but that poor woman must have had such a shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      I know, you have to feel for her. Hopefully she got some therapy down the line.

      Delete
  10. Great story... probably some truth to it, if not all. But I'll bet the owner wondered not only how the critter appeared back in the cage, but how he got so clean and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      I do feel sorry for her. Can't believe Matt stayed silent. Maybe that was the untruth part?

      Delete
  11. A double funeral for Fluffy.
    Great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belva,
      Bet she put a cement block on the grave the second time.

      Delete
  12. So funny! Thank you sweet Patti for the great laugh this morning. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Patti, I so enjoyed this story. You told it so well. I think you are a natural storyteller. Your description of Matt just delighted me--I could truly see him blow-drying that small hamster in his big hands. What a gift--to be able to make all of us laugh! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      That image was what made all of us in the break room crack up. So glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  14. That is hilarious! It made me laugh to picture this event. You are such a good writer and story teller, Patti, I think you could easily write a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      So glad you got a smile. Thank you but I was just retelling Matt's story. Can't take much credit.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Sally,
      Thanks. Still working on some issues but getting a bit better.

      Delete
  16. How funny! Just goes to show the lengths we will go to try and make things right.....but HOW FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,
      Ha,ha, he did try. He just didn't finish by confessing.

      Delete
  17. Yes, I remember that post but loved reading it again. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links