Monday, July 16, 2018

JERUSALEM GAP


Jerusalem Gap by T.R. Pearson is a book I am  recommending even if it is so darn hard to read at times. 



You see, I usually read in bed with my Kindle perched on my stomach. This guy had me laughing so hard at times that the device bouncing merrily on my stomach made me keep losing my place. That is the only hard part about reading Mr. Pearson. The laughs come unexpectedly which makes them all the more enjoyable.  

Now the book is not 100% belly laughs, sometimes you will only smile at the subtle humor , clever turns of phrase, or bizarre situations but is 100% enjoyable with characters you can't help but like and those you don't like, you will enjoy his treatment of them.

I was  attracted to this book at first in that this is a dog story.  I am a sucker for those but am usually leery of them due to the inevitable endings that hurt like blazes.   The description of the story made me look closer. It is basically a story about the growing together of a cranky man and a collie named Nova who was dumped out on the highway at his feet as a stinky, flea ridden pup. 

The dog comes  blessed with a ready smile (yes dogs do smile--some even grin), enjoys impeccable  manners, is mellow, loves everyone and is well adjusted. The book is  about bringing Nova's new, rather grumpy, loner of an owner to a similar state of grace.

Main character description as posed by Amazon--  "Donald Atwell didn't want a dog. He already had an ex-wife, a balky truck, and a cat that was part Persian and part Taliban." 


When I saw he was John Grisham's favorite writer, I was further intrigued. Then I read the teaser by clicking on "Look Inside." That clinched the deal and I just had to have it. I got it free on a promotion but it is only $2.99 now on Kindle. Still a bargain.

It is relative short, only 140 pages, but my is it worth it. The warm nursing home sections alone should demand a much higher price.

Pearson is an established southern writer of the best sort letting you savor the rural southern lifestyle and flavor. He has a delightfully wry, understated  sense of humor which is the dessert but his insight into the human condition is the soul filling main course.
  
If you love dog stories  and want to meet some delightful characters, do your self a favor and spring for the $2.99.
I consider this book a treasure. 

46 comments :

  1. I love books about dogs so as soon as I finish this comment I'm going to go order a copy of this book. What an odd name for a book about a dog, though. I hope that's explained in the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R,
      I thought so too. Trust me, there will come a time when you are reading that you will go "oh, now I get it."

      Delete
  2. I didn't even finish your post before going to Amazon and ordering the Kindle book. It's now on my device and I'm SURE I'll enjoy reading it. Right now I'm finishing the trilogy about "The Dalai Lama's Cat" and enjoying it thoroughly. Thanks much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I will have to check out The Dalai Lama's Cat.

      Delete
  3. Always good to have books recommended. I'll put this on my list, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60,
      Hope you get a chance to read it. This guy is a special author.

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear of this author. Thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie,
      A great dog story and plenty of smiles. Think you will like it.

      Delete
  5. Dear Patti, thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying to be frugal this year and so before ordering it I'll see if the library has it in an e-book format. Our library's e-book section is quite extensive. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee.
      Boy I wish our library had that service. Usually if it is too steep for me to buy, I have to put the hard copy on hold.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this recommendation. It does sound like a delightful read. I'm afraid if I read it, I'll want a doggie even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      Ha ha, we will get you to take the doggie plunge yet.

      Delete
  7. As someone who doesn't really like dogs this probably isn't for me, which is a shame as I'm always looking for new books to read on holiday. Oh I don't have a Kindle either. Not doing very well am I? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      Ah but you read the post and commented anyway. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Olga,
      Hope you were as easy as I was with your recommendation of "Eleanor". My library is ordering it for me.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a loely read. Think I'll order it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll check Hoopla (online books from our library) and see if it's available. If not, I have a friend's kindle (old version fully stocked with books - she has every version kindle has come out with) so, I'm sure I could order it. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      I so envy those of you who have that service. Sure wish we did. Sounds like you should be able to track it down. Enjoy.

      Delete
  12. I saw this post & went to Amazon to order the book. I spent all afternoon reading it & just finished. I couldn't put it down. Thanks SO much for the recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,
      Isn't it grand? That has to be the fastest response to a review I have ever gotten and your 4 sentences blew my whole post out of the water. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  13. I’m on my way now to Amazon. I’m

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm in the market for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      It has been around quite a while. It will probably turn up.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the book review. I am always looking for something new and this looks one I'll buy for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      Hadn't thought about that but it would make a great gift for an animal loving person.

      Delete
  16. Down loaded the book and read the first two chapters. I love it so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R,
      Now have I ever lied to you?:)) Seriously, isn't it a great read?

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the reading tip, Patti. Sounds like a great gift idea, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out to Pasture,
      You and Ginnie are on the same page and what a great idea as a gift.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like a great book! I always love to get recommendations for what to read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally,
      I know. I am always looking for a good book to read and if someone I know recommends one, it helps.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been reading more light and/or humorous books lately. Anything that takes my mind off politics for a while.

    You might enjoy Clyde Edgerton's "Walking Across Egypt." Funny short novel about a seventy-eight year old strong and lively lady. I re-read it every now and then and enjoy it every time. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      I know what you mean about needing a distraction. Hope you enjoy this one and I am going tomorrow in search of Walking Across Egypt. Sound right up my alley. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  21. That sounds like my kind of book and goes straight to the top of my To Be Read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around my kitchen table.
      Think you will really enjoy it. We all could use a smile these days.

      Delete
  22. We do love our dog stories here. Though I regret the fact that I could have easily become a rich and famous author had I chosen to write about our first dog. His name was Max and the future author of Marley would have realized I had already written his book already...:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, you’ve convinced me to read this one, as I long go stopped reading dog stories when I had to write a true heart-breaking one of my own years ago. A favorie story when I was young was Lad: A Dog

    ReplyDelete
  24. You write the best reviews and I will have to check this one out too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you. I will hunt it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved this book also! What a find!

    xxoo,

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky Mountain Woman,
      I know. So good to hear from you. You have been missed. Does this mean you will start blogging again? Hope so.

      Delete