Monday, March 2, 2020

BABY RUTH AND THE PSYCHIC

Recently Dee from the fine blog Coming Home to Myself,  posted about a psychic experience she had that reminded me of a story I had posted in 2010. My story went like this.

I met Baby Ruth years ago. She was an adorable little dog who lived in a Hunt and Riding Club near me. Her owners had two dogs besides Baby, three horses, white peacocks and a fawn they were raising whose mother had been killed. Visiting their home was like going to a small petting zoo.


Baby Ruth was a Shetland Sheepdog (a tiny Lassie looking dog) maybe 14 inches tall and about 15 pounds.


                            Picture not mine nor of Baby Ruth but looks just like her.

She was very smart and definitely the leader of the pack. Baby Ruth was a little Diva who had all the other animals cowed. Her owners were good friends who had helped me many times with my rescue work. Then it came my time to help them.

In 1998, Florida suffered a terrible drought and wild fires scorched the state. Over 1000 wild fires crawled across most of the state. The newscasters referred to us as "Florida in Flames."  I lived 20 miles from my work and it seemed almost daily as I would be driving home, thanks to the flat Florida landscape, I'd see smoke spiraling up in the distance.  I would anxiously drive for miles in fear before discovering if I still had a home.

One day as I was driving home, the only highway leading to my place was blocked by the police and smoke covered the road for miles. I was told that the Hunt Club woods were on fire and since my home was on the other side, No one was  allowed to pass. I was frantic wondering just how my property was.  Eventually they released us. 

Luckily, my place was fine, just smoky. I heard on the news that while much of the woods had burned in the Club, all the homes were spared.  Such a blessing.

The next day however, Baby Ruth's owner came to my gate with tears in her eyes. Baby was missing. They had been shopping in Vero Beach the day of the fire. Baby had evidently used the doggie door to go outside prior to the fire. While all the other animals were safe, she was missing. Mary knew I was good at finding dogs and wanted my help. I owed her and her husband big time and was happy to assist.

I helped put up posters with Baby Ruth's picture on every post in a five mile radius. They were offering a $1,000 reward which had everyone in the area looking. Mary even walked through the charred woods looking for Baby's small body. She hired a helicopter to search the miles of the surrounding countryside. I drove and knocked on doors, but no Baby Ruth.

In desperation, Mary called on a famous California psychic for help. I would have been the first to pooh-pooh a psychic, but what happened next was eerie. Mary was desperate and expressed one of Baby's collars to California and when the psychic recieved it she called Mary.

The psychic perfectly described seeing the tall pines and long, winding dirt roads which led to a paved road. She then described a house, a fenced yard, an older white station wagon and the first 3 digits of a Florida license plate. The psychic then told her the people there knew what happened to Baby Ruth.

Mary followed the psychic's instructions right to the house and station wagon which was about a mile and a half from the entrance to the Hunt Club. 

The people who lived there denied ever seeing Baby Ruth. Their eyes popped when they heard of the reward, but continued to insist they knew nothing.  "But a psychic told me" had no legal merit.  Mary hired a private detective to watch the people but to no avail. 

I truly wish this had a happy ending but Baby Ruth was never recovered. Somehow I believed the psychic and that those people knew where Baby was as the description from across the country was so exact.

Since she was a beautiful , pure bred dog, perhaps they found her and sold her. I could only hope it was to another fine home. 

Do you believe some psychics do have special powers or are you a skeptic?

48 comments :

  1. I think I was born a skeptic, Patti. Still am, after more than seventy years. Sad story about Baby Ruth. Being my favourite breed, I've owned three shelties over the years. What a scary time you had with those terrible wild fires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence,
      I lean that way but I can bend. Shelties are supposedly the smartest dog by breed. They sure are cute.
      We had lots of fires in Fl. Once it came right up to my fence line. Fire makes a terrible sound.

      Delete
  2. Well, first off, I wish there would have been a happy ending. And thinking about this question, I really never gave it much thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni,
      Well for most of us, we rarely have the occasion to use one. Good reason not to have given it any thought.

      Delete
  3. Patti, I do. I have had people tell me things that blew my mind on how accurate. Besides Rick and I have a bit of it. I wrote about a few of them on my site. I think a lot of people just take your money but not all. And yes I believe those folks knew what happened to that dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      I do believe most so called psychics are blatant fakes and ride on the coattails of those with real talents. This incident made me believe. Her details from 3000 miles away were amazing.

      Delete
  4. I believe, but I am sad to learn that Baby Ruth was never found. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      The sad thing is that something happened a year later that led me to believe Baby had met a terrible end. Can't prove it so I said nothing.

      Delete
  5. I don't really believe in psychic powers but I do believe in intuition. However, being able to scribe a house, care with actually numbers from a license plate that Baby's mom was able to locate sure could make one into a believer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      I do believe there are many fakes out there also. However the details are what made me slide over to the believer side.

      Delete
  6. Such a sad ending. I have a friend who swears by animal psychics but when she tells stories about a certain one she knows there always seems to be a very logical explanation minus the psychic … so I find it hard to believe her but I guess it gives hope to animal lovers who have missing animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      I'd have bought a lot of that being just a good guess but the car and licence plate swayed me.

      Delete
  7. Skeptic. Sometimes they seem to be accurate, but then people only remember when they are accurate and disregard the hundreds of times they are way off base. Plus I once saw a magician make an elephant appear in a cage from thin air. I don't know how he did it, but I know it was a trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh,
      I use to be, not so sure today. I'd have been amazed at the elephant magically appearing. I'm the kind who keeps them in business.

      Delete
  8. Wow Patti, what a story! I thought for sure I knew where this was heading, but the reality surprised me even more. (Poor Baby Ruth, I sure hope she had a happy ending...) As for believing in psychics, I'd say yes AND no. I believe a few genuinely exist, like 1 out of 1000, but nearly all of them are bogus. It's too long to get into here, but 10-15 years before my mom died, she went with her best friend to visit a very respected one in WVa and was only there for moral support, but was told some things that no one could've possibly known. It changed her mind about them for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      I believe like you do. It is a tiny group that have actual talents. Once a friend of mine's girl friend went to one. The psychic told the girl she was dating a married man and she just laughed. My friend confided in me that he was still legally married to his first wife. Shook him up.

      Delete
  9. That is such a sad story, I too was hoping for a happy ending. I hope though that Baby Ruth was sold to a good home rather than anything else I can think of.

    I'm not certain about anything. I have gone to psychics a couple of times. The first one really seemed to know more than she ought to, but the second was mediocre. I did it more for fun than anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      I have always wanted to go--like you just for fun but so far haven't. I think the good fakes are just great people readers. Still, maybe someday.

      Delete
  10. I must admit I am too skeptical to really believe in psychics. I think there is a great deal of coincidence and subtle perception. But not real powers to perceive the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      I think a lot of those who are making a living doing it are just really good at reading faces. It is a talent, just not supernatural. Then there are those that I am not sure about.

      Delete
  11. I sometimes believe people have psychic abilities. Too bad that woman's dog was never found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gigi,
      I know. It sure wan't for lack of trying or money. She told me she would have put someone's kid through collage if they had found her.

      Delete
  12. I think we all have a bit of psychic ability, and I think animals do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      Well I think Callie may have a bit of it. She did try to warn my friend that she was sick and sure enough a week later, she was in the hospital recovering from emergency surgery.

      Delete
  13. I sure wish that little doggie had been found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      I know. It is the not knowing what happened that kills you.

      Delete
  14. I think some people are genuine and a whole lot of them are not. I went to one that told me things that came true years later and she knew specific events that happened to me as a child I had forgotten about. But I had also seen half a dozen who were total zeros.
    Funny, I had just finished watching Sensing Murder season one on Prime--and that had me thinking about how some of them are quite real! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita,
      I know several who have had the same experience you had. I do believe some do have the ability.
      Sensing Murder sounds interesting. Wish I could get it.

      Delete
  15. I believe in psychics. The only one I ever visited helped me find some peace about my father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      So happy you were able to find peace. When they can deliver that, they are worth every cent.

      Delete
  16. Dear Patti, I believe both in psychics and astrologers. But of course, when I first meet one, I find myself a little skeptical until I hear things that convince me that the person truly has a deep and abiding intuition/sense that can help me. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      I would be skeptical also at first and that would be normal. There are unfortunately scammers out there who give the sincere a bad name.

      Delete
  17. I feel so sad after reading this story. There are few things worse than losing a beloved pet. I've never lost one, but I could just feel the desperation in this story and know I would feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      I have lost an animal and the not knowing is just horrid. Baby's mom did every thing humanly possible to find out. I felt so badly that she never did.

      Delete
  18. I absolutely believe that some people do have psychic ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      I do too and I really would love to sit down with one.

      Delete
  19. I neither believe nor disbelieve. I am a skeptic but I only go with what is knowable. That's what an agnostic is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      But you are open which is a comfortable way to be.

      Delete
  20. I can't say I believe but I am open to hearing and asking them questions. However, under the circumstances you described, I would give the psychic's information a strong nod. So sad they didn't find the dog there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I know, she just had several minute details correct. I do believe they had taken her for another dog from the same Club disappeared in the same area.

      Delete
  21. That is a sad story about the dog. Unanswered questions in my mind about the psychic’s history. I’ve never been to a psychic but tend to be a skeptic — that any powers they have are a propensity for reading people as you noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared,
      I am pretty much a fence sitter and would love to actually visit a reputable psychic to see for myself.

      Delete
  22. Gosh! I don’t know... I heard some pretty amazing stories from my mother and aunt. I was so hoping this had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Probably because there are some honestly eye opening ones but they are overshadowed by the scam artists.
      Me too on the ending.

      Delete
  23. I was hoping for a happy ending... So sad. I think the people knew what happened to the dog.

    Also, I believe some people have special powers. However, there are so many shady ones and I have major trust issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baiba,
      Me too for sure. There were too many details to back up the psychic.
      I feel the same way and would only go to one with a bit of a skeptical approach.

      Delete
  24. How sad Baby Ruth was not found. I sure hope she was adopted and safe and not killed in the fire. Interesting about the psychic describing the house and vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra,
      Oh I so hope that it was a great family she went to but I have my doubts.
      The psychic really did have details that she couldn't have just guessed at.

      Delete