Monday, November 27, 2017

FIRST RODEO


The other day I was able to witness my first rodeo from my living room window.  No, not the cowboy, saddle bronc, raging bull and clown type of rodeo but a road equipment rodeo.

They are paving or rather re-paving the side street I live on. I was virtually penned in my house for a couple of days as humongous and bizarre equipment filled my driveway.

I was basically trapped and hoping this was not a time to experiment with a heart attack, I pulled up a seat and watched the show.

We have all passed road construction being half annoyed by the delays but this was the first time I got to see it from start to finish. It is quite a process.

Soon however I was fascinated by a hyper active little Bobcat pushing a front end loader.
Not my picture
I was enthralled by the show it was putting on.  The driver was using the bucket to pick up  droppings from the paving machine and smoothing out the roads edges.

The driver worked as if he were getting paid for piece work and definitely not by the hour. That little vehicle just flew. He only used one speed and that was full out both forward and backward.

He would throw the bucket into the air and the front wheels would come off the ground. It would balance for a bit in the air, speed forward on the two wheels, then slam to the pavement. I was thinking the driver couldn't possibly have two vertebra left in proper alignment.

To show his versatility he would often switch directions with the ease of a zero turn lawnmower while balanced on just two wheels.

I tried to snap a picture of him but I was too slow and my videos don't seem to be compatible with blogger so I borrowed this one from YouTube showing  the capabilities of a Bobcat with a skilled driver.


All the time I am thinking, this has to be a really young gun to jockey the machine like he was. I couldn't see him but he had to have been grinning as he popped wheelies and whipped the machine around in circles on two wheels.

It reared on to its back wheels and bucked on to its front wheels. This was a machine rodeo.  While it was quite a show, pretty sure I wouldn't want him driving my car nor would I want to be the owner of the Bobcat.

Finally he backed it up into my driveway and shut it down.  Lunch time.  I waited for the young man to dismount but my jaw dropped when he did.

This was no 20 year old hot dogger.  Out of the machine popped a man who was beyond AARP eligible.  Huh???  He must have a spine of steel.

Yes, I was guilty of assuming an older person couldn't possibly have the spunk nor physicality to handle a machine with such daring do. I was so wrong.  Bad Patti.

Ever get caught incorrectly assuming?

31 comments :

  1. We've been having a great deal of scaffolding put up outside our house in the last year, and most of the guys that swing these massive poles around are young men that look like body builders and then there's this one guy that's 3 times their age, skinny as a rake and yet he's the one carrying the most poles and planks of wood on his poor shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      Sometimes those old codgers shock us don't they? Kudos to skinny showing up the muscle boys.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story! "Ever get caught incorrectly assuming?" yup, all the time, Patti, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      Me too robin, me too. You would think I would learn but nope.

      Delete
  3. Bobcats are fun to drive, or so I've been told. I've been inside one but didn't fire it up. But I have driven a (real) front end loader that was huge. It could knock down a house---my husband knocked down 12 cabins with one of his loads, he had three. I did not enjoy having that much power in my control and refused to do operate it after my training, but we did have a woman on the crew who loved it. Her favorite part was getting out of it and having people take a doubt take at her gender. This was a couple of decades ago when it was less common. My husband did not like having younger guys operate his equipment. The older guys could be trusted more not to showboat and wreck something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R,
      That would have been so cool if a woman had jumped out and wow, if she had been old?? This fellow would have probably made your husband mad. He didn't fit the trusted mold.

      Delete
  4. That act should be on "America's Got Talent."

    And no, I never make an ASS out of yoU and ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh,
      I remember the first time I heard that and thought 'how clever' even though it was directed at me meant to chastise. Too often assuming does just that.

      Delete
  5. Well---life is interesting, isn't it???? Glad you enjoyed the show... We are finally getting a new road from I-40 into our community ---but to me, who has to drive that way, it's just one big mess right now.... I will definitely appreciate that road once it is completed in over a year I think.... BUT--right now, it's not much fun to try to get through there..... Glad you didn't have to go anywhere.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      I know, major road repair take FOREVER. We had two passing lanes installed nearby and it took two years each time. I think my guys are finishing up today.

      Delete
  6. What fun! And yes wouldn't it have been wonderful if an old woman had been driving like that? It was sure fun to think about, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      Ha ha, you are so right. I'd still be looking for my jaw if an older woman had popped out. Guess I am now guilty of ageism AND sexism:))

      Delete
  7. He must have been in terrific shape to handle that equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen,
      He had to be to survive the beating he took.

      Delete
  8. How nice for the road crew to provide entertainment along with inconvenience.
    I believe the word is profiling, and yes, I would say we are all guilty of it in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda R,
      Guilty. Sigh, and here I thought i was so enlightened.

      Delete
  9. I bet he was a hoot to work with when younger too. Wish I'd seen him in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      He had to have impressed the young workers. It was very entertaining.

      Delete
  10. Oh I love this post. Yes, of course, I tend to have the same kind of made up mind about things. I think most folks do.
    This post reminds me of when GK (my granddaughter) was a tee tiny one. Not far from our house, a new Lowe's was being constructed. We would go there and she would watch all the "big trucks", as she called them work. Her favorite was a little bobcat front end loader. So for her 2nd birthday, we bought her some construction equipment, Tonka style. She was thrilled with the gift but.....then began to cry when she realized there was no "little guy", alias the bobcat front end loader.
    Thanks for this fun post. Have a super day, xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oma Linda,
      Loved that story about GK. So glad I could bring back a fun memory for you. I suppose it is too late to get her a Tonka Bobcat this year now that she is a young lady?

      Delete
  11. One of my often repeated mottos. Don't Assume. However, you've got to be right about that poor mans back. Hurts me to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Me too. He was totally slammed around in that little machine.

      Delete
  12. That video is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,
      The show he put on was equally impressive. I enjoyed the show.

      Delete
  13. I'm sure you know that when you "assume" you make "an ass out of U and Me!" I am amazed at your wild Bobcat driver ... what I see more often here is 4 or 5 guys standing around and discussing who will do what !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      Ha ha, yes, that was explained to me early on when had made an incorrect assumption. I've seen what you have also. Maybe that he was older and had some work ethic explains his tackling the job with such vigor.

      Delete
  14. Are you ageist??? Just kidding! Assumptions can get us in trouble often. My husband brooded for awhile over a false one he made about me when all he would have had to do was clarify with me. Never heard that description of assume — a good one to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  15. joared,
    Kind of looks that way doesn't it:)) I'm probably sexist also for had it been an older woman getting out--I'd have been floored.
    That does sum it up doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, of course I’ve been guilty of that too. But gracious! If I’d seen that, I would have thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated. No spam will be published nor comments with links