Monday, March 4, 2019

REALIZING YOU MIGHT TALK TOO MUCH

Reworked from 2011.

The other day I was pleasantly surprised by a phone call from my cousin Jean who lives in  Staten Island, NY.   Now I don't have a large blood relative pool. Each of my parents had one sibling who in turn had only one child.  

Thus, I only have two blood cousins. Jean, on my mother's side, whom I have seen maybe 8 times in my life and Gale on my father's side that I have only seen twice.  We have just never lived anywhere close to one another.

Now Jean and I exchange the annual Christmas news letters and that about covered our communication till the next year. Jean is 12 years older than I and has been widowed for some time.   

For some unknown reason, neither of us sent the annual letters this past Christmas. I kept thinking I would and it just never happened. Since Jean much prefers talking to writing , she decided to call to see if I were still on the planet or should be mourned. 

What a delight it was to hear from her and to get caught up with her family. Jean is just a lovely person.  She was my role model when I was a kid and someone I wanted so much  to be like when I grew up.  She was pretty, funny, confident,  a nurse and had married a handsome, adoring man. One of those women who had it all.

Below is a picture of Jean and myself in Key West during one of our 8 visits. I was in my late 20's and she was 40. Jean on the left and me on the right with big hair and a blissfully thin body. We definitely had the same high forehead,  cheek bone structure and short stature.


The next time we met, I was 40 and she was 52. She and her husband had come to stay with me for a few days in Florida when I had my animal shelter. Jean loves animals and she really enjoyed the group in my care.

I had a video camera then, one of those huge ones that rested on your shoulder  so I made a tape for them to take with them of their meeting of all the creatures. As we watched the tape later, all Jean could say was, “Do I really talk that much?”

Her husband just grinned broadly and said nothing. Something I am sure he was use to doing. The tape was  a running commentary of Jean's voice. Now it is not that she was boring, she just talked non-stop and it was caught on tape. Pretty sure it was the first time she actually heard herself.  

I had forgotten about that trait till the phone call. Jean would ask questions about me or my brother and almost before I could finish a few quick sentences, she would be relating a fun memory of the three of us. About an hour into the conversation, the phone line went “click, click” and died.

She had mentioned having phone troubles so I assumed it was on her end. I did not try to call her and waited for her to call back if it were possible. After 10 minutes, I figured her service must be totally down and I prepared to go outside when the phone rang. It was Jean again. She was shocked that the line had been dead on my end for 10 minutes.

Seems she had continued talking almost the whole ten minutes.  She didn't even notice I wasn't there. That makes one feel "special":)  She is one of those talkers with great breath control so often there is not even a pause so that one could grunt "uh huh."

I should say here that professional, breath control talkers don't really bother me for I all ready know all about myself and I like learning about others. Who knows when a story idea will come from such a conversation? Like now. 

We both laughed a lot over Jean's conversation with dead air.  She then suggested that during the rest of our talk, if I would periodically just say “beep, beep,” then she would know we were still connected. See, all she needed from me was a few "beeps".  My job was easy.  


Do you have a talker like that in your life, or is it maybe you? You can tell me. I'll listen:)


Every time we talked after that day in 2011, we would laugh long and hard about the infamous 10 minutes. 
 Sadly I lost my dear, chatty cousin in 2017.  I  miss her letters, long talks and giggles but also that last link to my Mom's side of the family. 

52 comments :

  1. I'm a bit of a talker I'm embarrassed to say, but I have learnt to shut up and listen too. Doesn't come easy though! It's not because I'm not interested in what the other person is saying it's just I feel this need to keep talking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      Often the other person is just happy someone is carrying the conversation besides, I'll bet you are interesting for your blog sure is.Enjoy having the floor.

      Delete
  2. One of my hiking friends is like that. When we carpool to various trailheads in the summer, I get an earful when she sits next to me. I enjoy it in small doses! Love the story about Jean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      When I was in a walking group in Florida, we had someone like that. Once she got the floor we were goners:))

      Delete
  3. That is a funny story. I have met people who talked like that but not anyone that I had a close relationship with -- probably for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Like you, not sure I would want someone like that in my life daily. Jean was once a year and that was perfect.

      Delete
  4. oh yes Patti we all know someone like that.
    Honestly the fact that you only have 2 cousins blows my mind. Coming from an enormous big loud Italian American family I don't even know how many cousins I have and I grew up with them as almost more siblings. As a kid I would have been so green with envy with you only have 2 cousins. I think those damn dagos breed like bunnies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy,
      That is funny for I a friend like that and I always got invited to her family reunions. I loved the crowds. My family would have had a problem filling a table of 8.

      Delete
  5. p.s. - look how damn cute you are in this pic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy,
      Why thank you so much. Those were the firm of flesh days:) Never too old to enjoy a compliment.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Margaret, you were cute back in the day.

    I keep telling myself I need to call some of the people that I only hear from at Christmas. Why do we do that? It's not like work is taking up all my time now. Your Jean sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      Thank you also for the compliment. I agree and think we should all be better at communicating than once a year.
      Jean was a bright spot in my life.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, I have a couple of people like that in my life...one is my daughter. I've been caught a couple of times not paying attention and saying yes to something when I ought not to have. I've learned to use the non-committal um-hum or "is that right?" instead. Usually keeps me out of trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      Yikes, that could be sticky. Non-committal is always the smart way to go.

      Delete
  8. We have "friends" that I try and avoid. THey ask a question, do not listen and then go on and on about their actually really boring life. THese days a conversation goes like this,
    "WHat have you been up to?"
    "We just got back from a Safari in Iran where we were held captive for spying and..."
    "Really, interesting, we just got back fro a trip to I don;t give a crapville and it was so great, bla bla blaa bla....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh,
      Well you would have had my rapt attention at "Safari in Iran". How could anyone override that?

      Delete
  9. I am definitely not a talker. I have a hard time if a telephone conversation lasts more than 10 minutes. When you love someone, though, it's amazing how long you'll let them ramble on. Love that photo of you and your cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      Yes, affection really determines how long you will put up with it.
      Thanks. That was the only picture I had of the two of us.

      Delete
  10. Well - my grandson Sam (6) is a constant talker. His big sis, Amanda, used to be chatty, but I think she is less so now that she's a teen. We say they both take after Bob's Grandma (who Amanda is named after). Maw could talk and never require a response. Her husband was very quiet - a good match!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb,
    Be interesting to see if Sam keeps it up. Teens usually seek their own peer counsel.
    Thankfully for every compulsive talker, there is a contented listener.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I think you are STILL cute!

    Yes, we all know people like that and we have to decide if the relationship is worth putting up with the constant chatter. I don't think they have the ability to change so we must accept it or move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      Aw thanks but age has really left her mark.
      I think you are right. It seems to be inbred as some see it even in children. As long as I am not waking up with them, I am OK.

      Delete
  13. Sad she is no longer here but what great memories you have of your chatterbox cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60.
      You are right, we may not have had quantity but the times we had were quality.

      Delete
  14. Oh, yes, I know many of those "talkers," ones you will say something to and instead of responding to what you said would continue on the story they want you to hear and if you get a word in edgewise, you are lucky. I usually like people like that because it takes the onus off me to keep the conversation going and I can just sit back and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickelfritz,
      I think that is how the spouses of "talkers" feel and it is lucky for them. Wonder what happens when two talkers get together?

      Delete
  15. Wow sorry she is gone and only the memory remains, I had an aunt with whom I could talk for hours. She too is now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidrun,
      I think all of have someone like that in our families. We just enjoy them.

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry to hear that she is come, that you lost the connection, for good this time.
    I have a sister who dominates the phone conversation and barely lets me answer a question before she is off and running on her own story. Sorry to say, I find it annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Sorry you find your sister annoying. They do like to hog the air time. Better than in person though I guess.

      Delete
  17. I have a couple of people who talk on and on not realising I wish they would go home and let me get on with what I was doing when they knocked on my door. When I worked at the shoe factory (almost twenty years ago now) a new girl started a couple of years before the factory closed down. She talked non stop the whole time she was at work and I'd bet money she did the same at home or anywhere else. We often joked that she could probably talk underwater and were tempted to ask her husband if she talked in her sleep. she never did get much work done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Talking under water made me laugh. Hadn't thought about that. Pretty sure her husband didn't get the floor much.

      Delete
  18. Sorry you lost her in 2017. It is a bummer to see the links to our history disappear. Yes, I know such people. They are great for dinner but it is tough to vacation with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is perfect. Great for dinner but not for vacation. Small doses work fine.

      Delete
  19. Dear Patti, losing a close family member or a friend at our age means that we truly lose part of our own back ground--a person who remembers what our most recent friends don't and really never knew. So I am sorry to learn t hat Jean died and you'll have no more of those delightful phone conversations.

    As to talkers: I'm one! I sometimes forget to let my friends get a word in edgewise! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      Ha ha, just remember to breathe. That gives them a chance.
      Yes it is hard the longer we live to lose those who are our physical roots.

      Delete
  20. That is a great picture of you and your cousin sweet Patti, you both are pretty. So sorry that she is gone but happy for you that you have wonderful memories of her and your time spent with her. I know a few talkers...when they call sometimes I think my ear is going to fall off before they are ready to end the call. When two or more of them are in a room at the same time...you would not believe it. They all talk at the same time non stop. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maggie,
    Aww thanks so much. You answered my question about two talkers at the same event. Would be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do have several cousins and we do keep in touch pretty well. When you suddenly become the older generation, it's nice to have cousins to reminisce with. But as for the talking too much, I don't think any of us have that problem... although... I did have a dear friend (from college) tell me not that long ago that after 50 years "DH had ruined me... as he was always the talker and I hardly said a word." Which is probably true since my uncle once told me that he never knew I could talk until I went off to college. Still prefer to be the listener...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      Well enjoy that talent. A good listener always has someone who wants to talk to them.

      Delete
  23. You were (are) beautiful too. I am definitely not a long talker. Actually I don't like talking on the phone and my close friends use email instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      Well thank you---though age has done its work on me.
      I will talk on the phone if called but usually use email when I want to connect.

      Delete
  24. I agree that you are both so beautiful, but I’m sorry you lost her, Patti. She sounds like she was such a fun, loving, interesting person. You were both lucky to have each other. I think it’s hilarious that she kept talking for so long without noticing you were not there. I confess having done the same thing, but not for quite that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Thank you for the nice compliment. Jean was all the things you mentioned and her talking was just part of her charm.

      Delete
  25. Well yes I do...me. As to relatives I had tons of cousins who married and weren't at all prolific all. They're all dead here in Minnesota. I do have lots of former students though here in smalltown Minnesta. Live alone now that Mrs. T. in memory care bring me much help and guardian angel. I'd be lost and lone if Barb and I moved back to our birthplace in the Twin Cities...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Well teachers are use to having the floor with a captive audience and that you have students still in your life proves you were a really good one. I am so glad that they are being so helpful, especially with what you are going through with Barb. My best wishes and prayers for you both.

      Delete
  26. I'm quite a good listener, I think, although my family might disagree! My sister is a bit of a talker and sometimes it's hard to get a word in edgeways - so we complement each other. Like you and Jean used to do - she talks and I listen!
    Around My Kitchen Table That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around my Kitchen Table,
      The good thing is that it makes a conversation easy when another wants to carry it.

      Delete
  27. Can identify with the few living relatives left — sorry about your cousin. There probably have been times when I talked incessantly with some friends as I’ve noted they’ve done with me. We really should check with each other to make sure we’re still connected cause a friend of mine and I have had problems with phone and had to call back as you describe. Don’t think either of us have gone on for too long, but have occasionally said, “Are you there?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared,
      Ha ha, I have heard that "Are you there?" question a lot.

      Delete
  28. What a beautiful pair you were.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mage,
    Thank you, now I think I will put my big head to rest:))

    ReplyDelete