Monday, August 19, 2019

CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR

Rerun from 4-29-13  This post has gotten several hits lately probably due to the Bundy movie.  So I thought I'd give it a reboot. 


                             A WIFE FOR THE NIGHT

Some people live a little closer to the edge than I do and maybe have just a little bit more fun. I am not an overly cautious person, but Paula definitely had more moxie than I, especially the current version of  "I".

Paula came to work at our exit on the turnpike in Florida as a toll collector.  She was a young divorcee, attractive and a tad on the tough side. She was a bit of a wild child.  

Now all of us , even the semi-retired old ladies like me, were flirted with daily.  Regular customers like truckers, business men, traveling salesmen were often playful in our brief interactions. 

We were sort of a monotony break for the travelers.    It was generally fun and harmless. I enjoyed the gray haired set.   

Paula was popular on my shift. Usually she flirted openly but rarely followed through.  One slow night, a really handsome young fellow in a yellow Corvette came through and after a brief flirt, told Paula that he was looking for a "wife for the night."  He wanted her to meet him at the service plaza after her shift ended in about half an hour for a meal and "what ever". 

We had to admit that this was a unique  pick up line that purely laid out his intentions.   We were surprised when Paula decided to meet him for dinner. We tried to caution her by saying she knew nothing about the fellow and reminding her that even serial killer Ted Bundy was a good looking, harmless looking lad. 


Ted Bundy. Sadly I would have trusted that face. 

Regardless, after shift, she took off down the turnpike. I was a bit concerned but she swore she would be OK. I tried to remember I was young once and the plaza was a crowded place.

The next day, I was relieved to see Paula arrive for work. I couldn't wait to hear how her "date" went.

She got the giggles and told me she gave him exactly what he had asked for.  They had dinner and coffee and the whole time, she critiqued his table manners, lack of ambition, speech and even his clothes.  


Basically, she nagged him. She became a wife from Hell for the night or at least for an hour of it. She said from the minute he made his strange request, the plan to nag him was born. 

He wanted a wife so she made sure he got the worst kind of one. She nagged for the whole meal then  started complaining of a phantom headache.  He quickly baled. Paula had great fun and enjoyed a full belly. 

That was not at all the kind of "wife"  the young fellow was looking for and I am sure he did some work on that pick up line. 

Sums up the old precaution, "be careful what you ask for".  You just might get it. 
           

44 comments :

  1. I'm so relieved that Paula was okay, and what a great idea to give the young man exactly what he asked for. I have to admit I would never have been able to do anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Me neither. I was so relieved when I saw her the next day but got a chuckle out of her game.

      Delete
  2. That is a funny story! And yes, you have to be careful what you ask for. She sounds like she knew just how to handle him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      She was very capable of taking care of herself and having a bit of fun at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Apparently he had never been married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh,
      Ha ha, and a good chance he never got married.

      Delete
  4. omg what a hoot. I would have been so frightened for her and happy to see her the next morning. How smart was Paula huh? Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy,
      Kind of wish I had known her plan going in but she was one smart gal who could handle herself.

      Delete
  5. That made me laugh. Pleased you did a rerun of that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60,
      Thank you. We all got a laugh the next day after relief set in.

      Delete
  6. I've heard that pick up line before. The dangerous games young people play it's a wonder any of us survive to grow old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      And that is the truth. There are some dangerous fellows out there.

      Delete
  7. My dreading the end of your tale made the laughter even richer at the happy and hilarious ending for Paula and her concerned colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LC,
      That is exactly what made it so darn funny to us also--relief.

      Delete
  8. Gracious! That could have ended so differently! I'm glad she taught him a lesson though...he probably needed it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,
      Pretty sure he never tried that same approach again. She really worked him over.

      Delete
  9. Good for her! That is absolutely hilarious...and definitely what he deserved for propositioning her. I'm sure he was a little more cautious after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      My thoughts exactly. He may have become a monk after that:))

      Delete
  10. O goodness. I didn't know wives were naggers! Certainly ask Bud. (I have Arizona beach property on the market, too, if you believe Bud)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hootin Anni,
      Ha ha, he sure got a dose of what can happen in a marriage. Sure he had a whole nuther picture in mind.

      Delete
  11. Paula was fortunate the man did not take advantage of her. Call me ignorant, but I didn't know what the man meant by being a wife for one night. Maybe he just wanted his laundry done and his house cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snickelfritz,
    Ha ha, that probably would not have disappointed him so much and most guys need laundry done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great story but I wouldn't advise anyone to replicate this clever play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      No, she really took a chance what with some of the crazies out there.

      Delete
  14. That's hysterical! And exactly what he deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita,
      And he can't claim he didn't ask for it. He just had to take it.

      Delete
  15. Dear Patti, I often tell friends about your postings and this one for sure will be shared! What a hoot! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story! That young woman was clever, but that was also risky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Yes she did take a chance I wouldn't have but it came out all right.

      Delete
  17. She escaped that one. Good story, made me what to kick him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Pretty sure if he didn't change his ways, someone probably did kick him down the line.

      Delete
  18. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall as Paula deflated the nervy man's libido. Makes me chuckle just thinking about it. I wonder if he learned anything. Great story, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out to Pasture,
      Thanks. I know, wouldn't that have been fun? Sure hope he did learn a little bit anyway.

      Delete
  19. Great story! Thanks for sharing, I must have missed it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brig,
      Thanks. Good to see you again. Thought you had quit blogging.

      Delete
  20. OMG. I am so glad the evening ended up well. Most of us do some crazy things we look back on and give thanks we came out ok. I am so worried about all this gun in schools business. Living in Texas I just pray that somebody's god-given-right doesn't show up at the Grand Girls school. Although the shooting in Santa Fe, TX was in the opposite direction of my girls, it can happen anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara.
      Me too. There is no where safe anymore. School, church, festivals, shopping. This has to stop.

      Delete
  21. This is absolutely hilarious. And yet... scary too. I agree about Ted Bundy and trusting anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She had a bit more guts, than brains. But it made a great story.

    🍂🍁🎃🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete