Monday, January 20, 2020

HE SET THE BAR HIGH

Reworked from February 2009. Just something kind of sweet to take the nastiness of today's headlines out of your mouth. Locusts now?? Come on!!

After retirement from the power company, I got the urge for self employment.  I came across the idea of using my favorite toy at the time, a video camera, to make some money. This was in the day of the big ones you rested on your shoulder or used a tripod.

Originally I had planned to video seniors as they committed their histories to tape for their children and grandchildren. Blogs form that function today. 

As a side, I planned to do insurance videos. I would record all of a persons belongings in case of a fire, hurricane or any massive loss. Insurance companies would only pay for what you could list. Today anyone with a smart phone can do the same thing I did.

Being in Florida with yearly hurricanes, it made sense. It really satisfied the snoop in me for nothing in a person's house was off limits to my camera. All my clients were darling and I loved the job.

One day I got a call from an older gentleman who had seen one of my insurance videos and wanted one for himself. He asked how long it usually took and I told him they average an hour or so to film. He agreed to the price and we set an appointment.

I drove up to his double wide which was in a nice retirement park with 1 acre lots. Sam came out to greet me attached to an incredibly long oxygen tube. I told him I would do the outside first and proceeded. His garage held only an older car. This is usually where a lot of people kept bunches of stuff-- not Sam. It was pristine.

When I came inside, Sam introduced me to his wife Carrie who sat on the couch with a walker in front of her. She was as heavy as Sam was slim and  had a very pleasant appearance. These were two very elderly people. Sam was tied to the oxygen tank by a long tube and his wife was barely mobile. Made me wonder who was taking care of whom.

A little shocked, I noticed the inside of the house was very sparsely decorated. There was a couch, a chair, a table, a small TV/VCR combination and one wall painting. I had previously told him this could take an hour but I honestly didn't see a good 15 minutes of work. I didn't want to embarrass him by finishing so quickly, so I videoed everything from every angle.

In the bare kitchen, I even taped the condiments and refrigerator contents to use up time. The clothes closet would have made Henry David Thoreau proud. They had little jewelry. These people were living a very spartan life. I don't know if they were poor, very frugal or had taken downsizing to the extreme.

When I had finished taping , Sam asked me if I would tape just one more thing.
"Sure" I said for thus far, I had definitely not earned my money. Then I learned the real reason he had hired me.

Sam sat on the couch with his wife and asked me to tape them. As I started the tape he said in a proud voice with his arm around his wife, "On October 12 , my wife will be 89 years old." He turned towards his wife and with a catch in his voice and a hand on her cheek he said, "I have loved you every hour of every day for 73 of those years."

Then and even now, my throat screwed shut and the tears welled up. A surprised Carrie beamed broader than a lottery winner and they shared a kiss that so many years together had reduced to a comfortable but warm peck. It was all caught on film.

I fussed with the camera for a while for I frankly could not talk. I don't think I have ever been so touched by such an enduring love between a married couple. That day Sam showed me that the most romantic of men do not need rose pedals, caviar and Dom Perignon. They just needed 24 very sweet, deeply felt words. Carrie was a lucky woman and for me, Sam set the bar high that day.

52 comments :

  1. With a divorce rate of about 50 percent, it's so nice to see a truly successful marriage. Sweet man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence,
      Oh he was that. I can see why they lasted so long.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet, sweet story. It really touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga,
      Thank you. They touched me too. It has been years but I see them plainly today.

      Delete
  3. Awww, Patti, that is a wonderful story. I'm glad to know there are (or were) such sweet people in the world today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      It was at least 20 years ago so I doubt they are still with us but somehow I think they are still together.

      Delete
  4. Well, my eyes seem to be moist... I can picture the scene you describe and the people. It's not what you have but what you feel in your heart that counts. Thanks for this uplift, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      Thanks. They have stayed with me all these years and make me smile when I think of them.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, that brought sweet tears to my eyes. What a lovely story and couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      I am so glad for it does the same to me when ever I think of them.

      Delete
  6. Amen. What a wonderful story! I have a man like Sam. I am a lucky broad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      Yes you do you lucky gal. And yours comes with a really funny sense of humor. Your hit the mother lode.

      Delete
  7. We should all be so lucky... who needs things when you have what they share? Thanks very much Patti, this was a terrific read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      So glad you enjoyed it. Those two were some of the richest people I have ever met.

      Delete
  8. You seldom see marriages of that length today and so often they have hit bad spots along the way but they persevered and were stronger for it. Life today is too fast-paced for many couples and they want instant gratification. The slightest difference of opinion often ends in divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      You are so right. I am sure Sam and Carrie had some tough spots but the love they had made them disappear from memory.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful story. Such an enduring and romantic love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      I know. I think the number of years they were together and still so much in love was amazing.

      Delete
  10. Oh, my, that story brought back memories of my parents dedication to each other for 71 years.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Oh how lucky you were to witness it all first hand.

      Delete
  11. Awwwwww...I love Sam!!! Where can I find him!?!?!?! That is EXACTLY what I want!! Wow - sweet! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I know exactly how you feel. I looked for Sam in the guys I dated.

      Delete
  12. Patti, I think these things as well as the times we witnessed kindnesses done to us or others remain with us forever. Thanks for sharing that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian,
      We really do remember those who touched us. I know I do.

      Delete
  13. What a sweet, moving love story. Especially welcome in these days of more greed and jealousy than we ever imagined. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      That was the main reason I did the repeat. I know I needed it.

      Delete
  14. Oh, I loved this story. They did have the richest gift of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I remember in the beginning feeling badly for their lack of material things. Boy was I wrong.

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh, Patti! That is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL memory. Wow! I would be tearing up too. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Thank you and so glad it moved you. It sure did me.

      Delete
  16. That brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheerfulmonk,
      Me too. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  17. If only every woman could be loved so well. What a wonderful story. I hope their family got to see that video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickelfritz,
      That was one lucky woman. I wish he had told me what he wanted so there wouldn't have been condiments in the first part. I think their only son had passed.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. River,
      Thank you so much. It gave me pleasure to relive the day.

      Delete
  19. Of course I had to count the words...it's the bean counter in me.

    What a wonderful memory of the couple and what an enduring love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      Ha ha, I checked twice when I wrote it. Yes, they were such a special couple.

      Delete
  20. What a lovely story, and how nice that you were part of it. I can picture you videoing that moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      Thank you and I was so happy to be a part. They were so sweet and special.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for sharing a beautiful moment from this sweet couple with us, Patti! The way you write makes me feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry,
      Thank you and I am glad you were able to be there with me.

      Delete
  22. Dear Patti, thank you for sharing this beautiful, tender story. It reaches out and gentles all the rough edges that form in my mind when I watch the evening news. So tender and gentle. The essence of love. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      I am so glad it helped some. The evening news will make old people out of us yet:))

      Delete
  23. Wow, I think I would have bawled! What a beautiful moment for you to have witnessed.
    Have a great weekend- I think it will be cold here, but I am hoping for a couple of decent days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,
      I did too though I had to wait till I got in my car.
      At least the sun is out today. That is rare.

      Delete
  24. That is so sweet, I'm tearing up too, right now. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      It has been years since I witnessed that and it still makes my choke up.

      Delete