Monday, August 24, 2020

PATTI AND THE RICH DUDE


Had nothing for today so I dug back 10 years to rework a lighthearted story from 2010. Figured with all the heavy lifting our minds have had to do lately, we could use a break.  I know I could. 

Many, many years ago I worked for a bank.  Bank wages were notoriously low then and are probably not much better now. In those days, bankers were supposed to somehow eat prestige.  They were famous for giving titles in lieu of a raise. I found titles had no buying power,  contained zero calories and less taste. Titles are only useful at class reunions for bragging rights. 

I really enjoy working for the bank but I sometimes found myself working a second, part time job a couple of nights a week for spending money.  Now of all the jobs I ever had, full or part time, the one I enjoyed the most was as a cocktail waitress. It was kind of like being at a party, sober, but paid well. There was fun, laughter, constant kidding around and almost everyone was in a good mood.

The bar where I worked was part of a large hotel chain that had a very posh steak house restaurant. The lounge was mainly where people went for drinks while waiting for their reservation.

What I really liked was the mental sparring with the customers. Working there I am sure I increased my retort IQ on a nightly basis. The sharper your comeback, the bigger the tip. I can sometimes come up with a ho-hum quip today when under pressure, but with the constant give and take each night in those days, it became very easy and second nature. It is one of those "use it or lose it" abilities.

Of course, people who drink are easily amused so I shouldn’t have judged my skills by their reactions. Regardless, I had fun and could make in two nights what it took all week to earn at the bank. Rarely were these exchanges with the customers of a ribald nature for these were mostly people on dinner dates. We were just having fun.

One night, I had one of the 5 richest men in America walk into the lounge in a party of 4. I had met him earlier that year at a dinner during a PGA golf tournament. While rich dude and I had shared a dinner table and brief pleasantries at the tournament, I felt he in no way remembered me. I was right.

Roger, the bartender, gave me a wink and said not to expect a tip from that table. The uber rich fellow was notoriously tight. I had dated  Rich Dude's right hand man for a while and he often regaled me with stories of the man's world class tightwad nature.

Marc, my former boyfriend, said that once they were inspecting a construction site for a new hotel, when the old fellow, jumped down from a six foot high concrete wall to retrieve a half dozen unused concrete nails lying on the ground.

“Perfectly good nails,” he growled. “People have no respect for the cost of things.” Evidently, retrieving the nails outweighed the possibility of a broken leg for the elderly man.

So I wasn't expecting anything but maybe a pleasant exchange. Surprisingly, the old fellow had a really sharp mind and we kind of went toe to toe for the amusement of his companions. He would quip and I would counter.

There was the rare loud customer at the bar that night who was annoying everyone near him. Rich dude looked at me when I served their drinks and commented rather protectively, “Is he giving you any trouble?”

I replied, “No, I was tempted to give him a nasty look, but I saw he all ready had one.”

Rich dude loved it, clapped his hands in delight. They prepared to leave for dinner and when I returned his change (which he pocketed), he slipped a couple of bills into my hand on the sly.


Thinking it was two bucks, I was still quite impressed for he was famous for leaving zero tip. After he left, I saw it was a twenty and a ten. The bar tab was under twenty dollars and he had tipped more than the bill. Stunned would put it mildly.

I would like to say that he became a regular and paid my way thru college but the next time I saw him at a function, he had no idea who I was. Some impressions just don't last. I've pretty much perfected that.

He has been gone for a long time now having passed about 5 years after that meeting. Today if you watch NPR, a lot of the programs you see are partly paid for by his foundation. The foundation is also involved in many wonderful grants from the arts to human rights. He may have been frugal in business but he was quite the philanthropist in death and as far as I was concerned, he is locked in my memory banks as a witty man and one heck of a tipper.


Ever had someone surprise you by their uncharacteristic behavior?

39 comments :

  1. ...surprises? behavior? all the time! Ones that stick firmly in my memory are those I don't even know, and it's never about money, it's how a person treats an elder (be it me or someone else) with respect

    you just don't see that nature much these dsys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni,
      So far I have been lucky and only seen respect for elders if you don't count that disgruntled guy with his nasty Boomer comments.

      Delete
    2. It's more I see in the south...AZ & CO, no so much. Down here, for me, it was a culture shock.

      Delete
  2. That was a good story! I enjoyed thinking of you filled with witty repartee in person as you do often in your blog. Now I"m wondering who the heck that person was. Thanks for the morning smiles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan,
      So glad you enjoyed. I had fun retelling though my repartee has slipped into neutral these days. I sent you an email regarding your question.

      Delete
  3. $30.00 would be a sweet tip today, but I have a feeling you’re talking of an era where that came closer to half a weekly paycheck! Very nice! Well Patti, just a couple years ago (Christmas 2018), I found a small plastic sack hanging from my doorknob; inside was a Christmas card and a crisp $50 bill, from an elderly woman who lived on my floor. I soon learned she did this for all 14 apts on our floor. A couple of us tried returning the gift, but she wouldn’t answer our knocks—so I slipped a holiday card under her door with a thank you note saying I was donating her gift to the Methodist church next door. I learned in the spring of 2019 she had passed on, but the strange thing was she hadn’t even been living here—she was a resident of some LTC facility for over a year, but had continued the rent on her apt (in hopes of coming back) and hired someone to leave the cards & cash on her neighbor’s doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      What a delightful story and lady. I am so glad you got to find out the rest of the story even though it was pretty sad. She was quite a lady.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed reading your story. I can't recall anything so exciting. I did meet Prince Charles a few years ago. I had taken my class of 11 year olds to an art exhibition where some of their work was being exhibited. The surprise guest turned out to be the Prince. What delighted me was that he had time to talk and engage with the children. They were inner city kids and were not impressed by rank. They asked him very down to earth questions mainly about painting and what he liked to paint. He answered each and every one of them eventhough his security guards were desperate to keep him moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60
      Well Prince Charles is nothing to sneeze at. He is my favorite royal next to the queen I appreciated his sense of humor that we saw when he and Diana got engaged. Good to know he is also a nice guy.

      Delete
  5. I love this story.

    When I was 17-years old, my then boyfriend had a guy’s night out with his friends. One of them had too much to drink, walked out of some establishment and threw up on a parked police car. The police said if they got a sober driver to retrieve them, they would let them go. So my boyfriend picked me as the person to get them and rang my house at 2 a.m. The call, of course, woke my parents. My mom woke me and let me decide if I wanted to get them. I did but was not pleased about being woken up. Driving there I exceeded the speed limit and got pulled over. I explained to the officer by boyfriend and his friends were in need of a sober driver after one of them yakked on a police car. The policeman told me to drive slower, so I actually arrived to my destination and let me go. I was shocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Oh my what a wild story. Didn't see you getting pulled over too. You all ran into some really nice policemen that day.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed that story, Patti. I think a lot of self-made men of that generation were like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      He really was a unique fellow and I can understand his being a bit tight. That is how the rich got rich.

      Delete
  7. What impresses me is that you were able to get the orders right. You did not forget who ordered what drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gigi,
      I was MUCH younger in those days. Wouldn't even try today:)

      Delete
  8. I love this story! I wish I could remember an encounter as vividly as you remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin,
      Glad you enjoyed it. I can remember 50 years ago better than what I had for breakfast.

      Delete
  9. Great comeback, Patti. He already had a nasty look! Ha! Mind if I steal that one? I used to wait tables in Australian bars. As a rule, the only tippers were visitors from other countries. Americans and Canadians were much more generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence,
      Ha ha, help yourself. Pretty sure I "borrowed" it from some one else at the time. Maybe we are better tippers for many people I know at one time worked for tips and know it can be hard work with no real salary.

      Delete
  10. You have lived a very interesting and varied life, with some special encounters along the way!

    Funny, I worked at banks for about 10 years before leaving to get my university degree. I'd hit the glass ceiling by that point and wasn't going any further. They certainly did not pay well, in my last position my predecessor was paid double what I was...he was a man, of course.

    I also worked in a lounge but only as a coat check with rare visits on the floor. Usually on Saturday nights when the place was full to the brim. My talent was dropping trays of drinks on the customers rather than repartee!

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,
      Know what you mean. When I left the bank they tried to get me to stay and asked what it would take. I said more money and I was told flat out that had I been a man, I would all ready have been earning $5000 more a year. That would have been almost double what I was making.

      Delete
  11. I feel certain that if you were my waitress, I would remember you from one time to the next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      I can't really blame him. The first time we met we were both guests. The second I was his waitress and the third time we were both guests again. I was just always presenting a different image.

      Delete
  12. Gee, and here I thought we were good tippers because we've been leaving $5 for the $15 pizza that we pickup at curbside. I guess I'd better up my game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom,
      Ha ha, I think you are better than most unless you are a billionaire.

      Delete
  13. When I spent a winter in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I worked as a waitress. Native Americans would come in with 15 people and never leave a tip. I didn't mind, I sort of understood. To make up for it there were some guys who kind of liked me, they would come in and buy a 25 cents cup of coffee and tip me a dollar or two. Back in 1969 this was good money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger,
      I'd say they liked you. That was a big tip. I'll bet today you are a good tipper.

      Delete
  14. probably not that big a tightwad, i'm sure he did not tell anyone of the size of his tipping. Also he knew when to reward those who deserve rewarding.

    Apparently Jack Benny was not really a cheapskate either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh,
      Sadly he was a tightwad according to my boyfriend who was his right hand man. The girls in the restaurant said he never tipped. He was nice enough--just never tipped.
      I remember hearing that Jack wasn't the cheapskate also. I always thought that part of the character he played was funny.

      Delete
  15. Makes me wish I'd been a server in my youth so I'd have some tip stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Aww, you didn't miss much. I did work as a waitress while in college and that is hard work. People who are hungry aren't as fun as those who are drinking:)

      Delete
  16. I might just borrow that "nasty look" line one day, what a great comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Help you self. I am pretty sure I borrowed it back then.

      Delete
  17. Dear Patti, several years ago, a friend of many years sat on my porch in Minnesota and commented that my yard looked trashy. It didn't, but she had high standards. Every time we sat together --at her house or mine--she would comment negatively on my appearance or my yard or my house cleaning ability. That day on the porch, I just decided it was time to speak up. To be more assertive. So I asked if she'd noticed this tendency in herself with regard to me. While doing so, I thought she'd deny it and suggest that my feelings were too easily hurt. But instead of that, she said, "I didn't realize I did that. I won't anymore." And she didn't. It was for me a revelation. She was so mature in her attitude, and I found myself valuing her friendship more than I ever had. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee,
      That speaks volumes for the value of communication. That situation could have gone either way but so glad it had a happy ending and you salvaged a friendship. Well done.

      Delete
  18. An entry worthy of being re-posted! My memory is when one of my granddaughters got accepted to a good college and we knew she would need to save up a lot in able to buy books, etc. She was working at a nice restaurant to save up & one night her Dad, me & husband & sister & brother in law all went to dinner there. My husband paid the bill but put up the idea that we should all share in the tip. When it was all over she got a tip of about $120 and almost fainted but we all felt that it was the least we could do. PS: she graduated with homors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie,
      What a wonderful way for the family to support your granddaughter. Just an outright gift wouldn't have been as easy for her to accept. Sounds like you all invested your money wisely.

      Delete
  19. What a cute story. Just what I needed to brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete